SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I guess the title explains it well enough, a friend upgraded his intercooler & piping on his T5 and gifted me the OEM plastic piping/OTE pipe.

I'll eventually be in there to do my timing belt & PCV maintenance, is there any benefit to using the T5 piping? I think they're slightly larger, but can't be sure until I pull mine.

Just curious if anyone's been there done that.

That's all, sitting at about 104,970 miles at the moment :)

·
Registered
3,429 Posts
I've done it on my 2.5T. Can't say there is a noticeable difference. The 05+ T5s have basically a plastic version of the aluminum R OTE pipe.

·
Registered
16,848 Posts
06 and 07 OTE R pipe is plastic...
I've done it on my 2.5T. Can't say there is a noticeable difference. The 05+ T5s have basically a plastic version of the aluminum R OTE pipe.

·
Registered
3,429 Posts

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
I upgraded my OTE pipe with a custom aluminum pipe that turns out to be a T5 pipe by fitment, or so the seller/fabricator said. I don't believe it's really any different diameter of both models use the same intercooler. The turbo side might be different as they each have a different turbo... Just my observation though.

Sent from my Huawei Mate 9 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
296 Posts
As large as humanly possible on the intake side of things. Turbos don't like restriction.
However, just because the intake "piping" is larger doesn't mean there isn't another bottle neck
before or after. Best=smooth laminar airflow with fewest bends and large diameter piping to reduce
restriction. Turbo is more efficient and spools quicker. Imagine breathing like you do now... open mouth
wide and inhale. Pretty easy,...efficient...and fills your lungs quickly. Now, imagine that same breath inhaled
through a coffee stir stick. See the difference? Without getting into venturi effects etc.
larger pipe, less bends, smooth internals(mandrel bends), least amount of fittings=best.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Above all. As cold of air as you can without quench. Cold=VROOOOOOM!

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Lol, I understand the premise of more/cold = better, bu I also understand the intake will suck enough air under reasonable circumstance.

I'll clean it up and pop them on, the reality is I want to but won't be upgrading the IC & exhaust as this is my daily and I have too many projects and hobbies as is, but I figure this is one of those things that on it's own won't really do much. I assume like many things, it's one of a dozen parts that would create a better situation together.

My stock 09 2.5T OTE pipe is plastic and I wrapped it in heat reflective tape, which is a debatable topic as to if it helps or hurts, but it does look better. Maybe I'll just paint the T5 OTE pipe to look better, we'll see.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Current pic for the hell of it

·
Registered
296 Posts
Lol, I understand the premise of more/cold = better, bu I also understand the intake will suck enough air under reasonable circumstance.

I'll clean it up and pop them on, the reality is I want to but won't be upgrading the IC & exhaust as this is my daily and I have too many projects and hobbies as is, but I figure this is one of those things that on it's own won't really do much. I assume like many things, it's one of a dozen parts that would create a better situation together.

My stock 09 2.5T OTE pipe is plastic and I wrapped it in heat reflective tape, which is a debatable topic as to if it helps or hurts, but it does look better. Maybe I'll just paint the T5 OTE pipe to look better, we'll see.
Heatshielding products work if implemented properly. Know your method of heat transfer first,
conduction, convection, or radiant. Radiant heat barriers need an air gap to be effective.

·
Registered
296 Posts
For example, don't use exhaust wrap on intake parts. It is meant for keeping heat in.
Use this for downpipe, exhaust manifold to keep the turbo exhaust side hot=quicker spool and in
a lot of cases less overall heat in the engine bay.

Use fiberglass insulated wrap with a radiant external barrier on intake components to
block convection heat from say the radiator fan and the radiant heat from other already
hot components in the engine bay.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yep.

Trying to think of a method to make it look better cosmetically, maybe paint alone (silver or metallic), the blue/yellow is fine for a touch off color on the motor cover & cross bar, but don't want to do it in excess.

Or I'll actually plan out some better wrap

·
Registered
296 Posts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
296 Posts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
296 Posts
With and without heat shielding. Looks vs. performance.

·
Registered
3,429 Posts
There's the T5 OTE pipe on my 2.5T (along with an R intake cover). The inlet and outlet were the same diameter as the stock 2.5T pipe.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Wrapping the intercooler charge pipe is less important. It is carrying high velocity
heated air from the turbo charger on its way to the intercooler. Keeping the intake
airbox and piping on the way to the turbo will benefit from wrapping.

·
Registered
3,429 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts