SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Administrator
55,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are the engine internals different? Is the turbo different? or is it just an upgraded ecu? I believe the '99 T5 is 236hp vs my 197hp GLT.<P>If its just the ecu, I'd like to track down a T5 ecu for my '99 GLT, since no one seems to have an ecu upgrade.<P>thanks,<BR>Chris<BR>

·
Registered
6,564 Posts
The engine is different..very different. Too many things to list. Of course the turbo is different(hmm..LPT & HPT says all)...dunno the exact size difference. <P>No, it's not just an ECU..not that simple..or everyone would be buying the cheaper GLT and simply upgrade the ECU and make it T5. Sorry......it's the brutal truth.

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
There is somewhat of a big difference between the T5 (high pressure turbo) and the GLT (low pressure turbo). The GLT will has quicker low end/low speed response because the low pressure turbo spools up faster than the high pressure turbo. After about 30 mph or so, the high pressure turbo is in its zone and will respond extremely well. For highway passing and high speed, the high pressure turbo is better as well.<P>The turbo Volvo engines have quite a few differences to them as well. The high pressure turbo engine is 2.3 liters whereas the low pressure and non-turbo engines are 2.4 liters. The high pressure turbo is 2.3 liters because it has thicker cylinder walls necessary for the more extreme temperatures and pressures. It also has forged pistons, sodium filled valves, and different ECU mapping as well.<P>If my memory is correct, the stock boost pressure for the HP engine is 9.6 psi and the stock boost pressure for the LP engine is 6.4 psi. I think that there is a 1.8 second difference to 60 mph between the LP and HP S70 models.<P>IMHO, just adding a 'chip' to the GLT model would be a pretty good idea, because it will give you close to what the T5 does in terms of stock performance. Although, trying to convert a GLT into a real T5 is not really possible unless you use a 2.3-liter engine block. A chip and free-flow exhaust system for the GLT will get you to around 235hp. I hope this helps!<P>-Drew<p>[This message has been edited by InDy (edited 12-12-2001).]

·
Administrator
55,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the detailed info guys. No one seems to have a chip for the '99s because of some ECU change. I still don't see a listing on IPD's site.<P>Chris

·
Registered
6,564 Posts
After talking to Scott Hart at IPD yesterday afternoon for quite some time. I got few very interesting insider info., and we have come to a rather shocking truth about most of the other 'chip' upgrade manufacturers. It's strictly just my speculation over the years in this volvo crowd. Few info. I'd rather keep it to myself, don't want anyone to get into trouble or any company to go bye-bye.<P>Having said all that, just FYI for all the fellow volvo owners...IPD will have a new ECU upgrade out in the beginning of Nov. to take care of the 99+ models.<P>And NO, I don't work for IPD. As many of you would know, only think IPD about my C70 is the sway bars. I just found few things that I want to share with everyone, that's all. <P>

·
Registered
6,564 Posts
One more thing...do you want your volvo's ECU to be upgraded by some chip tuning company that has no experience in doing turbo Volvo at all?<P>Doesn't it seem interesting where these other chip tuning company was able to develop their software for the ECM so easily while guys like TME would take this long to do what they do the best?<P>Something for you guys to think about........<P><p>[This message has been edited by The_one_n_only (edited 10-24-2001).]

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by The_one_n_only:<BR><B>Doesn't seem interesting where these other chip tuning company was able to develop their software for the ECM so easily and while guys like TME would take this long to do what they do the best?<P>Something for you guys to think about........<BR></B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I agree with this sentiment, totally...<P>-Drew<P>

·
Registered
6,564 Posts
There are many things to take into consideration when choosing the ECU upgrade.<P>Higher boost doesn't always mean more HP/TQ if they don't have the right timing and right fuel map to support that kind of boost.<p>[This message has been edited by The_one_n_only (edited 10-24-2001).]

·
Administrator
55,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks! I'll keep my eyes open in November.<P><BR>

1 - 10 of 10 Posts