SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
I looked at both as best I could, I also felt under the belt and everything seemed great. No oil anywhere.

(Whats the trick to get photos to show on the site? I used the add a photo button added the URL and nothing)?
Easiest way is to use TapaTalk Pro

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: SharPeiDiem

·
Registered
2007 S40 2.4i AW55-50 / 2007 C70 T5 AW55-50
421 Posts
JEdge;7725821Whats the trick to get photos to show on the site? I used the add a photo button added the URL and nothing)?[/QUOTE said:
I upload my pictures with the tapatalk app from my mobile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
I upload my pictures with the tapatalk app from my mobile.

Video upload would be handy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
421 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
I believe he was referring to the tapatalk app, a video of your engine running won’t help to see in what condition your timing belt is, but it will be great to show your car to us.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
I believe he was referring to the tapatalk app, a video of your engine running won’t help to see in what condition your timing belt is, but it will be great to show your car to us.

Correct. I mean, I can read pretty fast, but 850900ish revs/min @ idle is a stretch. Lol.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Looks really nice! Especially with those 5-spoke wheels.

·
Registered
45 Posts
When I changed the timing belt, I kept the original water pump, on both of my cars.
I think I located a good shop, spoke with the owner, he said he normally does the water pump as long as he is in there, he said an Aisin pump would be an extra $112. However his shop sees a lot of Range Rovers and German cars. I remember it was a must on my Audi's. I had to do it on my GS350 because it was leaking, which reminds me that was an Aisin pump with about 75K on it. FCP Euro says the OE is Aisin.

He also said he would do a tranny drain and fill via the drain plug and was not a fan of doing it via the tranny cooler hose. He mentioned having to have the car at the right temp to insure a proper fill level and that he had the right scan tool for this. I told him I would drive over and let him know what I want to do.

I had to get a new oil pan on my GS350,(don't ask), and the fill was the same process I believe.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I think I located a good shop, spoke with the owner, he said he normally does the water pump as long as he is in there, he said an Aisin pump would be an extra $112. However his shop sees a lot of Range Rovers and German cars. I remember it was a must on my Audi's. I had to do it on my GS350 because it was leaking, which reminds me that was an Aisin pump with about 75K on it. FCP Euro says the OE is Aisin.

He also said he would do a tranny drain and fill via the drain plug and was not a fan of doing it via the tranny cooler hose. He mentioned having to have the car at the right temp to insure a proper fill level and that he had the right scan tool for this. I told him I would drive over and let him know what I want to do.

I had to get a new oil pan on my GS350,(don't ask), and the fill was the same process I believe.
If you want to replace the water pump for peace of mind, go ahead, is not a bad idea considering you are taking the car to have it done. What your mechanic says makes sense.
I didn’t replace it because I don’t mind to do it again. And yes, Aisin is the OEM pump.

About the trans drain and fill via the oil cooler, I’m not a fan of that either. Those lines can get brittle with time and can break easily. Is better to leave them alone.

Everybody have different opinions/methods of how to do this “properly”

However, when I did the drain and fill, I drained the oil from the trans drain plug, I put the plug back with a new crush washer. Then I measured exactly how much oil I drained, and filled it back via the dipstick tube with the same quantity of new oil.

Make sure he uses the right oil, these trans don’t take the regular dexron/mercon ATF. The right oil is spec is JWS3309. You can either buy the genuine volvo ATF oil (expensive asf), the genuine Aisin ATF (cheaper than volvo) or you can buy Toyota Type-IV ATF (the cheapest of the three, ~$7/qt at your local dealer) which is the exact same stuff as the genuine volvo or aisin (they even come on the same bottle shape).

And about of needing to have the car at the right temp to measure the trans oil level, he is right. VIDA says the trans oil needs to be at 80 deg Celsius.

So far from what you told that mechanic seems to be legit. Hope he gives you a good price for all that.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I am starting to really like this guy, he said exactly what you did about the the lines being brittle and better to leave them alone!

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
I am starting to really like this guy, he said exactly what you did about the the lines being brittle and better to leave them alone!
Or replace the brittle lines as well....

·
Registered
421 Posts
Haha, I have to admit, before doing my first trans drain & fill, I went to a “pick your part” junkyard specifically to practice that with one of their cars. And I bought two lines, just in case. Never used them though, since I ended up doing it through the dipstick.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Haha, I have to admit, before doing my first trans drain & fill, I went to a “pick your part” junkyard specifically to practice that with one of their cars. And I bought two lines, just in case. Never used them though, since I ended up doing it through the dipstick.

Through the dipstick is the easiest way. Not bad at all. Especially on a lift. No lift? Remove the drivers side wheel and shroud and you’ll be staring at the dipstick and can fill with a transfer tube. Otherwise you’ll pull the stock air box etc. to get to the dipstick which sits just under a heater hose.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I didn’t even had to pull the air box, just the ECU cover and I used a long neck funnel that fits perfectly inside the dipstick tube.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
I didn’t even had to pull the air box, just the ECU cover and I used a long neck funnel that fits perfectly inside the dipstick tube.

Nice. I’m aftermarket intake so I just pop the filter out.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have still no found my Dipstick

Nice. I’m aftermarket intake so I just pop the filter out.

I have yet to find that frickin dipstick, I did see a video where pulling out the airbox is painfull. If I do find it and figure out a way to access it I will then do the drain and fills myself. I don't have have a lift and for me to get under the car I drive it up on ramps, so that precludes pulling the wheel and fender liner.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Just did a drain and fill last week on the lift. Smooth sailing. Color of old was good, unburnt. I’m hard as hell on it and she shifts smooth as silk.

Went with genuine Volvo from FCP.

21 - 40 of 64 Posts