SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the 5MT, which was only available in the NA and the T5 thru 2004, (NA later??) is there only one clutch, or is the T5 clutch heavier duty? Also, how far back does interchangeability go? I picked up a clutch for next to nothing and have been sitting on it until needed, but the indy mechanic local to me implied that the clutch I bought might not give me the feel I expect. Since I have bought very few clutches in my lifetime, I have no response to his statement, and he has me doubting using this one.

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Another question: he also mentioned that he generally replaces the slave cylinder anytime he does a clutch. I know the slave for the 6MT for the R has issues, but what about this unit? Is he swapping to be extra cautious or to help his bottom line?

·
Registered
144 Posts
When I did my 98 T5 clutch it was a original self adjusting type pressure plate and extremely light pedal pressure and worked great.. a real treat in stop and go traffic.
I think at some point Volvo stopped using these self adjusters to save cost because my 2002 and 2001 have real heavy feeling regular clutch pressure,,,not much fun in stop and go traffic.
Yes I'd do the slave cylinder and input shaft seal on the tranny. Rear Main Seal on the engine as well.
Now is the time to use trusted brand name parts... Say No to Profession Parts Sweden Junk or you'll be doing it again real soon.
Cheers

·
Registered
17,313 Posts
There are a few different clutch options. Do you know what trans you have? If it’s a 23 spline (later m56) you can use the R clutch and a new dmf or smf convert

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts