SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
So I am new to the volvo forums and I probably posted this in the wrong area so apologies ahead of time. So I have a 2001 s60 t5 manual transmission. I just recently purchased a used k24 turbo which is in the mail heading my way. Good condition and everything works. I'm curious as to how to do the swap though. Anyone have some straight forward directions on how to do it? I'm not mechanically retarded but I'm by no means a pro. I've seen all shorts of things on the forum from guys ripping apart their blocks to just slapping it on, wham bam thank you ma'am. So I'm just looking for some advice and directions on what all I will need and how to do it. I've been talking off lucky's ear from ARD and he's been absolutely great but id figure id give him a break. Most of the car is shock but I've got a new pulley, intake pipe, Tcv and a few other things heading my way as we speak. I've got a downpipe and FMIC from Phuz and an exhaust from elevate planned by end of winter and then probably a blue tune from ARD late winter early spring. So yeah just toss me out some directions on how to do it that would be awesome!! And power gains and psi gains from just bolting on the turbo without a tune? Any ideas?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was reading through that the other day. Is it essential to take apart the block? And with the R charge pipe is necessary as well?

·
Registered
4,640 Posts
No you don't need to pull apart the engine, the only reason he did that was because it was broken. Just buy the turbo, oil and coolant lines, OTE charge pipe and bolt it on. You'll need a custom ECU tune from ARD or similar.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks njgb. Ipd is blanking a new silicon air charge pipe, would that work? And where do I get the oil and coolant lines? Can I buy them new? And I've heard that I need a v clamp or something?

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
T5-*****, there is a few things you need to know about k24 swap, but almost everything is bolt-on.

1. what turbo did you order? some of the 04-05 turbos has v-band style hose to join the turbo and the charge pipe, most of the 05+ has normal outlet which will fit your stock charge pipe with a hose. So if your purschase has vband style, yes you will need the R-charge pipe which is my case.

2. On the instalation side, all you need is the turbo + oil lines + cooling lines + modify the water pipe. You can use the stock manifold in the T5, it will bolt on directly, the same as your downpipe. The K24 turbo has a different CBV, it will hit your water pipe and will make your turbo install impossible. Here is a pic of what im talking about, you just need to remove the pipe, cut the small pipe and re-locate it, really easy to do.

The oil and cooling lines needs to be ordered cause the direction is totally different than 16T lines

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
About the Tune, i really recommend Lucky, he know alot about our engines and ECU, also the costumer service that he offers is amazing, which as you know in this kind of things will need it. I didnt have enough time to put a lot of miles to brake-in my engine but have been boosting about 15 psi in a few gears and i most say this k24 is a great choice for us.

If you need any info, let me know.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks man I really appreciate the info. I just ordered a pulley from Lucky and have been talking his ear off for a couple weeks now and he's been beyond helpful like everyone else in the forum so thank you. Can you block off the CBV and put in a bov? Or is this damaging to the engine, or reduce performance. The only reason I ask is because I don't want to have to cut to much. I was going to buy this pipe from iPd http://www.ipdusa.com/products/9319/120705-silicone-performance-charge-air-pipe-p2-s60-v70-xc70 so would that eliminate the need for the r charge pipe? It also says it has a space built in for a bov. Again I appreciate everything and where do you buy the oil and coolant lines? And the turbo is from an 04'r.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm also thinking about going with a blue tune from ard. Will I need upgraded injectors? After the turbo install im doing an FMIC and downpipe from Phuz and an exhaust from elevate r manifold

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
If you block the CBV you will need to remove the pipe anyway, there is no space between that section and the small pipe on the main water pipe. Believe me is really easy to do. The charge pipe will cost you a lot less money than IPD hose, you can contact Erie Vovo for sure they will have it, i got everything (R manifold, Turbo, Lines, Charge pipe, R hose for about $725).

A blue tune will be great, i did order my R injectors but Lucky told me that is better to use the stock ones on the T5 for better results and nice idle. Have you ordered the FMIC?, if not, you can do everything for $250 like i did my own FMIC.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I didn't order the FMIC no. But if you have just as good of one for 250$ please do share!!! And then how do you go about cutting the pipe

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
im thinking to do a How to FMIC, just need time lol.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah, well please let me know when you figure out how to explain it all so I can do it haha. So how do I cut and redo the pipe?

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
you can do it by yourself, really easy to do with a couple of parts.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I would but unfortunately to finance this project I work two full time jobs haha. If anyone wants to build me an FMIC for a 2001 s60 t5 let me know. I'll cover parts and labor haha

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Oh and question for you t5x or to anyone else. When you did your k24 swap you went with the snabb r intake pipe right? Does the stock MAF fit the pipe and a cone filter from EST. it will all fit back on right?

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
i send you a pm. About the Intake yes, everything fits perfect, but you will need to change the hose that connects the pipe with the turbo, cause the one it comes with snabb intake is 60mm and you need 70mm for the K24 inlet.

K24

16T

1 - 19 of 19 Posts