SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can lease a T-6 for only about $30/month more than a 2.9 because of the former's higher residual.<P>Other than than improved straight-line performance, Geartronic/Autostick (which I'm not sure I'll ever use), and fog lights, the T-6 is essentially the same car. I could use the money to "option up" the 2.9 with DSTC and the better stereo.<P>Have any of you wrestled with this decision? If so, please share with me how you resolved it.<P>Thanks for your advice.

·
Premium Member
6,997 Posts
I guess it depends on your priorities. DSTC and the stereo are nice, but the T-6 and geartronic would be more important to me.<P>The T-6 would also have the larger alloys I believe.

·
Registered
126 Posts
i think it all comes down to how you drive.. if you like to hammer on cars such as i do, then the T6 would be the way to go, however if you spend most of your time in and around the speed limit, then i think the 2.9 would be a more than powerful enough car for you... its your call performace vs lux kinda<P>

·
Registered
300 Posts
WE bought an S80 2.9 for my wife because she really didn't want the extra hp, and to me it wasn't worth the extra $7000. but you can get the 17" wheels like the T6 on the 2.9<P>Of course, we plan to keep the car for 10 years, so the 'residual' isn't a concern for us because it's pretty much zero by then. Also, the 2.9 has no turbo, so that's one thing we won't have to worry about repairing. Plus, the 2.9 will have slightly better gas mileage than the T6 because of the higher compression ratio (It must be lowered in the turbo to prevent detonation.)<P>We also got the S80 without the sunroof and without the leather (now standard) and saved even more. The cloth seats are even more comfy than the leather, especially in the hot desert sun. FWIW.<P>Good luck. We're totally happy with the S80.<P>

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow, I'm surprised this came back to life.<P>I have had my T-6 for about six months now. It has the base "Regulus" wheels and HU-611 sound system.<P>I use the Geartronic occasionally (mostly to put the car into a lower gear to descend the few hills we have in my area. I do enjoy the turbo's extra "thrust" as often as possible. I have noticed that the pedal usually has to be pressed all the way to the floor to get the full effect.<P>My car surges a bit in the first ½ mile after a cold start. I wonder whether the same is true for 2.9's. My mileage has been in the 21-22 mpg range, about what I had been getting in my SVT Contour -- a much smaller car.<P>The leather seats do a great job of conducting the heat on cold mornings, something I really appreciated today. I think both the T-6 and 2.9 are quite luxurious!<P>My mother bought a 2.9 about a month or so after I took delivery of my car. She's still trying to figure out the climate control and wipers (this is her first imported car) and we have interesting discussions almost every week. I look forward to seeing our two cars side-by-side as they are the two different dark blues.<P>Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

·
Registered
300 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chipshot:<BR><B>Wow, I'm surprised this came back to life.<P>I have had my T-6 for about six months now. It has the base "Regulus" wheels and HU-611 sound system.<P>I use the Geartronic occasionally (mostly to put the car into a lower gear to descend the few hills we have in my area. I do enjoy the turbo's extra "thrust" as often as possible. I have noticed that the pedal usually has to be pressed all the way to the floor to get the full effect.<P>My car surges a bit in the first ½ mile after a cold start. I wonder whether the same is true for 2.9's. My mileage has been in the 21-22 mpg range, about what I had been getting in my SVT Contour -- a much smaller car.<P>The leather seats do a great job of conducting the heat on cold mornings, something I really appreciated today. I think both the T-6 and 2.9 are quite luxurious!<P>Thanks for sharing your thoughts.</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>OK, I wasn't paying attention to the original post date, sorry.<P>No surge on the 2.9 after a cold start. Around-town/highway mixed mileage is about 22 to 23 but we did get 30 mph on an all-highway run some months back.<P>Enjoy the car--hope it turns out well for you!!

·
Super Moderator
39,220 Posts
Guys,<P>you should drive the 2002 S80 2.9! It does put to shame the 2001 (or earlier model) S80 2.9...The performance difference is very noticeable...<P>Yannis<P>

1 - 7 of 7 Posts