SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK guys, beat me up . I have search the post on comments on T-5. First lets set the background. Im retired and worn out, I currently drive a 2016 Subaru Outback with the standard non turbo engine. It works for me.

I have to have a 4 wheel/AWD due to extra height for entry/exit.

Looking at t-5 because of cost and feel it will be less expensive and reliable than t-6. Could afford a T-6 if necessary.

1. Is T-5 adequate i
2. What if I added Polestar.

Thanks

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
OK guys, beat me up . I have search the post on comments on T-5. First lets set the background. Im retired and worn out, I currently drive a 2016 Subaru Outback with the standard non turbo engine. It works for me.

Looking at t-5 because of cost and feel it will be less expensive and reliable than t-6. Could afford a T-6 if necessary.

1. Is T-5 adequate i

Thanks
If you’re not looking for the really peppy off the line starts then the T5 is fine. I don’t know that I would spend the extra on polestar for a T5.

My fist V90CC was a T-5 and I really was impressed with how fast it was. My current V90CC is a T6 and it has peppier starts than the T5 did. In both cases I have no intention on Polestar because they are leases. If I had intended to keep them I still would struggle with paying it out.

For reliability I’m not sure that it matters. Both cares are virtually the same except the T6 has the super charger.

You should also be aware that the T6 may offer more wide ranges of options and packages than a T5. So in that respect you’ll want to keep an eye on what comes standard on each.

Coming from that 16 Subaru with the base engine I think you’ll impressed and happy with the T5.

·
Registered
824 Posts
I don't understand your comment about needing AWD for the ride height. AWD and FWD S/V90's are the same height. (Actually, I don't even think they brought the non-AWD versions to the U.S so it is a moot point.)

What I think you mean is that you want the taller crossover V90CC, correct?

Either way, the T5 is plenty of motor for most regular drivers. At 250hp it is responsive and does 0-60 in about 7.4s. I have spent a good amount of time in dealership loaners with T5's and always thought they had more than enough power for normal daily driving, including tricky merges onto busy highways.

Polestar makes it a little more responsive but doesn't do much to the overall performance numbers. Most seem to really like the feel of it though.

From your description of your driving style I doubt you will be disappointed with the T5

The T6 is nice, but if I am honest it's extra power is mostly wasted on me in my regular driving, but I subscribe to the Zen approach to driving and leave all of my testosterone at home when I get behind the wheel. I'm comfortable with the size of my genitalia. 😛

I don't think there is any evidence yet that the T6 with it's fancy twin charging (supercharger + turbocharger) design is unreliable, but the T5 with it's more traditional turbocharger only setup certainly has fewer parts and is a more time tested approach, so it might be safer.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Also, let me add to this.

Since you require the greater height to get in and out, have you considered the XC60?

I'm not usually an SUV fan, but I have to admit that Volvo has done a really good job with this one. I have lots of experience driving the XC60 T5 as it is the most common loaner I get.

With many other brands of SUV's I have been really uncomfortable with the stability and potential "tippyness" (technical term 😛 ) but I never felt anything but confident behind the wheel of the XC60. At the very least it might be worth a test drive.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have the T-5, with the P* upgrade. Very happy with the car's performance. Yes, you only get a small HP boost, but you get a big torque boost and honestly that's much more important. You speed up more quickly when accelerating between 25mph - 75mph because of the torque. Also, if you do take it off road and have steep grades, its the torque not the hp that pulls you up.

And the P* option costs less than a T6 upgrade.

·
Registered
378 Posts
T5 will feel much better than the Subaru. I'd start with that, if you feel you need a little more, then go for the Polestar...they give you up to 30 days to take it back and give you your money back (literally, they program it out of the car if you don't think it is worth to you).

Unless you must have same floor clearance as the Subaru, don't go with the XC60, everyone has one, same as the Subaru, have something more exclusive and rare like a V90, which is less than 1" shorter than the Subaru.

·
Registered
156 Posts
After the latest (March 2020?) software update the T5 and transmission work really well together. I had a T6 and do not miss it given the more than adequate performance of the T5 in everyday driving, assuming you are not a red light drag racer. I'm also getting almost 3 mpg better mileage in the 2019 T5 than from the 2018 T6, 27-29mpg v 24-26 in mixed driving.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have a T5 and it's fine for me. I was buying it off the lot and got a good deal, so I have no real regrets about not having the T6. I was coming from a MINI Cooper S, which was faster, but also small, tossable, manual transmission, etc. The V90CC is such a long, quiet, comfortable car, that I don't really find myself wanting to do a whole lot of spirited driving in it. But if I need to get up to speed in a hurry to merge on the highway, it's plenty quick.

·
Registered
6,041 Posts

1. Is T-5 adequate i

Thanks
I’ve had loaner 2.5 ton XC90’s w/ the T5, and it was more than adequate. You won’t win any drag races but coming out of the non turbo Subaru, it’ll feel pretty darn peppy to you.

·
Registered
16 Posts

1. Is T-5 adequate i

Thanks
Hello there. I recently bought a T6 with all the trimmings and absolutely love it. I’ve never driven a T5 so can’t comment.
My main interest was the interior as I knew the car itself was exceptional. I’m 50 and already have a bad back and occasionally struggle to get out of it. Lol.
I really don’t need or want the size of the gorgeous xc90 and the xc60 certainly is attractive. The getting in and out of both of those models would be easier but neither of them will drive anywhere as nice as the V90. The CC is 3 inches higher than a regular (rarer than a Ferrari) V90 so that helps.
For a heavier car it certainly is peppier than you’d expect. The T6 acceleration is more than adequate and does put a smile on my face from time to time.
I suppose the T6 will come with more of the luxury options than a T5 so that is my main reason. I have zero fears of extra unreliability due to the addition of the supercharger, plus it sounds pretty awesome.
So in a nutshell, if you fancy having the comforts and the smell and feel of those oh so amazing leather clad seats with the massage option, I’d advise buying for maximum bang for your buck as opposed to just making do. There’s a lot to miss out on and Volvo are very good about standing behind their product.

Just my $0.02...

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have a 2018 V90CC T5 and am more than happy with the performance. Getting 27 MPG over the current 45,000 miles. Very comfortable car would be nice to have more ride height for getting in and out but not a problem for this old man yet :)
We live in a hilly rural area and power is never a problem. Invested in a good set of winter tires and wheels and all is good.
That said I'm moving to Polestar 2 in the next few weeks and probably saying goodbye to ICE for good. Electric is the future!

·
Registered
12,453 Posts
I have a 2018 V90CC T5 and am more than happy with the performance. Getting 27 MPG over the current 45,000 miles. Very comfortable car would be nice to have more ride height for getting in and out but not a problem for this old man yet :)
We live in a hilly rural area and power is never a problem. Invested in a good set of winter tires and wheels and all is good.
That said I'm moving to Polestar 2 in the next few weeks and probably saying goodbye to ICE for good. Electric is the future!
I am interested in the Polestar 2 as well. Are you taking delivery from the Manhattan location? Interested to hear your impressions once you get it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts