SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was driving back from jersey shore after a long and nice day at beach, kids and wife were sleeping, set ACC to 65 mph for a peace of mind.... all of sudden, I noticed AC was off, and there was a complete black out of informant system for maybe 2 or 3 seconds, HUD disappeared, and there was a normal start up procedure where we usually have Navigation loading, Bluetooth phone connecting, etc. routine stuff. The whole process took maybe 15 seconds or so, but I felt much longer than that. Can't really time it. It felt like the car was turned off and then restarted. Destination information was totally cleared out (yeah, without saying "clear itinerary"), AC was completely off (it was on before the reboot)

The odd part, or the fortunate part, was that during the "reboot", the car was actually functioning. I could tell it because ACC was working as it should be, i.e. slowed the car down and re-accelerated when the traffic ahead moved again. It all happened too fast and before I could take any action, the car returned to "normal". I don't even have a witness as to what happened as everyone was sleeping. I did get home safe.

For maybe 5 seconds, I was totally freaked out and the only thing I did was to keep the car in lane, the fact that ACC was working kind of calmed me down, so that I was sure at least the car was under control.

Before the incident, I had the car parked outside Burger King for about 5 minutes, engine was on since the kids were in it. I took the key, as it was in my pocket, and went to the bathroom. After I returned, there was a warning message"key not found," but I ignored it and kept on driving. After the "reboot", the message was still there. Could it be the cause? This is the first time I got this message.

Anyone, I'm gonna take the car back to the dealership asap, I was ok with minor issues of Vision Package, to be honest, that issue is not really bothering me, but this really is!

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Looks like infotainment software restarted. I remember saw a pic of S60 Drive-Me test car in Beijing road test with Ubuntu OS rebooted and the technician still drove the car as usual. The power train firmware including sensors, ACC, pilot assust etc, must be independent of the infotainment software, to ensure certain degree of robustness. But there is certainly no official info about this kind of internal details.

I suspect Volvo dealership will need some software engineer now to investigate computer issues. :)

·
Registered
181 Posts
Unfortunately this seems like it might be the future. Check out problems with Cadillac Cue or the Ford MyTouch products.. More complicated, more problems.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
I still haven't had this happen but I'm waiting for it. I guess the main thing I want to know is that the car will operate independently of sensus, which it seems to do. I just want to know that's a definite. If so, the system restarting is way way less of an issue. Annoying and moderately dangerous since you have to reset everything like AC, but not nightmare dystopia level.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Always look on the bright side! When this happens with self-driving cars, and it WILL, we'll need tens of thousands of new lawyers, thereby solving the unemployment problem...

·
Registered
41 Posts
@rockroc - I can confirm having experienced the exact same thing. Though I did first get a message stating that my parking assistance system was malfunction and before I could do anything, it rebooted. I was also driving and the car was functioning normal. Took the car to the dealer, but they could not trace this. Having said that, I did also experience that the iDrive system in my previous X5 did the same thing couple of times..... Wouldn't be too worried.

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
@rockroc - I can confirm having experienced the exact same thing. Though I did first get a message stating that my parking assistance system was malfunction and before I could do anything, it rebooted. I was also driving and the car was functioning normal. Took the car to the dealer, but they could not trace this. Having said that, I did also experience that the iDrive system in my previous X5 did the same thing couple of times..... Wouldn't be too worried.
There should be a core dump file saved somewhere in the pad... not in ECU of course. :facepalm:

·
Registered
426 Posts
Had exactly the same experience, I was fighting with the voice recognition to get something done and suddenly "black". Same experience as rockroc, auto kept going but all displays plus HUD were off for a few moment. Navigation, AC, seat ventilation went all back to off. Let's see what the big november update brings :)

·
Registered
235 Posts
When that happens, what goes black? ALL the gauges? Or just the Sensus screen?

·
Registered
419 Posts
Same experience with the Sensus essentially shutting off for 30 seconds or so. It is unnerving when you are relying on Sensus for and since my wife was driving it was a full emergency as she pulled off the road with the reasonable concern that the SUV had stopped working. This is obviously has the potential for creating accidents and it is something that needs fixing.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Sure, if it's unexpected it can be startling and that is dangerous to any driver. I guess my question is whether when the Sensus reboots, the speedometer and tachometer and the gauges in front of the driver also go blank? You said the HUD disappeared... did everything?

·
Registered
26 Posts
this happened on my new 90 today, on highway also.
touch screen went black and no media of course, after 10/15 seconds, system reboots and DEAD again, wtf
after second reboot, everything back to normal

however, this is only the 4th day of the new car, if happens again, i will make a appointment with service.

·
Registered
143 Posts
this happened on my new 90 today, on highway also.
touch screen went black and no media of course, after 10/15 seconds, system reboots and DEAD again, wtf
after second reboot, everything back to normal

however, this is only the 4th day of the new car, if happens again, i will make a appointment with service.
Did your dashboard (speedo/tacho) also go blank or only the center console touchscreen?

·
Registered
426 Posts
In my case everything disappeared, HUD, driver display, and touch screen. Full reboot with "welcome animation" on the driver display. Car was going on (as it should) without any bad behaviour.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
.... I had the car parked outside Burger King for about 5 minutes...
I think the car was trying to tell you something.

seriously, if it had anything to do with the key being removed from the car, that should be repeatable. just do everything exactly the same and see if it happens again. Sounds like a software bug, albeit a <deadly voice> DEADLY one </deadly voice> .

·
Registered
426 Posts
If you remove the key from the car you get a warning on the display but the car keep going on normally until you turn it off. Then "no key = no start" :D Happened to me when my wife went out of the car (with the key in her bag) to pick up something and I went on trying to find a parking slot.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
If you remove the key from the car you get a warning on the display but the car keep going on normally until you turn it off. Then "no key = no start" :D Happened to me when my wife went out of the car (with the key in her bag) to pick up something and I went on trying to find a parking slot.
Right, but obviously the OPs experience was quite different; perhaps a section of software was executed due to the key being removed and other situation specific conditions, and that code might have a bug due to those conditions.

Based on all the other reported experiences, something bad is happening. I find it strange the ACC was fully functioning whilst the rest of the system rebooted. At least its robust and compartmentalized.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I know it's not more comforting, but other makes have the same problem (Ford/Lincoln). It IS disconcerting.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Right, but obviously the OPs experience was quite different; perhaps a section of software was executed due to the key being removed and other situation specific conditions, and that code might have a bug due to those conditions.

Based on all the other reported experiences, something bad is happening. I find it strange the ACC was fully functioning whilst the rest of the system rebooted. At least its robust and compartmentalized.
Why do you find it strange? If the infotainment system or the displays stop/restart why would the ACC not work? All that technology is up in the windscreen or in the front. Just because you do your settings etc in the screen (and some with the steering wheel) doesn´t necessarily mean that is where the tech is. I would be more concerned if it didn´t work just the same way I assume my car would still function even if my AC was broken.

·
Registered
235 Posts
This happened to me on the way to work this morning. I was listening to music from my iPhone via Bluetooth, and all of a sudden, the song skipped -- like CDs used to skip back in the day -- maybe 3-4 seconds. Then the Sensus screen went black for a few seconds (the tach and the speedometer were still there just fine). Then after a few seconds, the Sensus "rebooted" -- or at least the the four rows of the Sensus all said "loading..." like when the car starts up.ter a few second, the music started again right where it left off.

The music played for a few seconds (maybe 5-10) then the whole thing repeated again. After the second time, everything was normal for the rest of my 20 min drive to work.

I think I would have been more freaked out if I hadn't already read about this happening on here, and also like rockroc said, the car itself seemed to operate just fine and the dash gauges were still there.

I just wonder if I should blame Duran Duran?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts