SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen many threads on what brand and weight of oil to use in an R. But never what type based on mileage. My Indy told me that I should run synthetic blend oil because it is thicker then full synthetic and because my car has 107000 miles on it. What do you guys think? I am currently running full synthetic.

·
Registered
326 Posts
As for weight I usually run 5w-30 in the summer and 10w-30 in the winter

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
i do synthetic only.

·
Registered
13,459 Posts
Full synthetic is fine and 107k is not a lot of miles for these motors.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all of the reply's. Full synthetic it is. I think I am running 10W-30 Right now or whatever the owners manual says to run.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I've been doing the research myself, and I decided to go with 0w-40 Mobile 1 (just changed today as a matter of fact). It's about $14 more than their 5w-30, but apparently it's one of their "flagship" oils they make.
I live in Florida, so it never really gets cold and I wanted something for year round hot performance. I will definitely update what happens when I take her to the drag tomorrow :)
But top 2 oil weights I keep seeing is: 0w-40 and 5w-30.

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
This seems totally backwards.
Agreed.

I plan on running Joe Gibbs Racing Oil XP1 then running a detergent at every oil change or moblie 1 0W20 Advanced fuel economy based on a shops research and advise. Joe Gibbs and Moblie 1 are the only two oils that they carry and were very convincing in there argument.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
I plan on running Joe Gibbs Racing Oil XP1 then running a detergent at every oil change or moblie 1 0W20 Advanced fuel economy based on a shops research and advise. Joe Gibbs and Moblie 1 are the only two oils that they carry and were very convincing in there argument.
I would choose redline 0w30 over both of those oils.

In any case, I wouldn't run a 20 weight oil in the R, particularly a tuned R.

Using a racing oil that is formulated without detergents in a street use/daily driving application just doesn't make sense to me, particularly when there are fully formulated oils for street applications that offer the same levels of anti-wear additives (moly, zinc, phosphorous, etc.) with a full detergent and acid neutralization package.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I am curious of why you want to use a 20 weight oil in the R? Would you mind doing a used oil analysis after when it comes time for your next oil change? Are you looking for improved fuel economy or better protection from a les viscous oil? The only downside I can see is that your seal MAY leak so you should religiously check your oil level before you start your car.

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
Might have to use 0w-30 come this summer hmmmm
Covers the highest temp range and provides the best coverage, not to mention it is one of the only Category V Oils along with RP, M1, RL, and Motul.

Costs a pretty penny but get used to it you own a ******* R.

·
Premium Member
8,700 Posts

·
Registered
773 Posts
My mechanic told me that he had seen a number of Volvos that converted to full synthetic at 100,000+ miles, and they started to leak, so he recommended against it. I changed to Castrol 0W-30 at 150,000 miles, and had no problems on my '01. Went 5,000 miles without using as much as a quart of oil. I think the problem with synthetics, if there is one, is that some owners never changed oil regularly, and that created tons of grunge in the engine, and that meant the seals had baked on oil sludge, so the newer oil couldn't dissolve it, and the seals were hard, and the thinner oil would start to leak past the seals. Just a hypothesis.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Is 0w20 ok

1 - 20 of 25 Posts