SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone give me the tell-tale symptoms of needing new front struts and rear shocks on my '96 850 w/114k on it? THanks.

·
Registered
7,737 Posts
Push the chasis down as hard as you can at your 4 wheels. The car should spring up immediately with no bounce. If it bounces up and down then you need new shocks/struts. Also, you can visually inspect them for leaking. If they're leaking they should be replaced. Noise and a clammering or harsh ride along with wierdly wearing tires may not necessarily mean new shocks/struts are needed (although it could mean this) but other suspension parts needed.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Re: Symptoms that indicate a need for shocks/struts (ShamRock850)

You don't need to know any symptoms.<br>114K and original? <B>No</B> shock works well after 60-70K miles<br>Everything needs to be replaced; Shocks, struts, strut mounts and spring seats.<br>You should also replace all 4 tie rod ends at this time as even if they're not broken, they are worn out and WILL need replacing very soon<br>JRL

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Like JRL said, all that stuff is trashed by 100k mile. <p>How do you know the shocks are bad?<p>Cuz it go's crash bang everytime you hit a bump. <p>But if you just change the shocks: what is left of the strut mounts, sway bar links, tie rod ends and ball joints will all fail due to the new shocks. <p>Change it all and be stunned by the difference. You will be impressed.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Re: (Stormin Norman)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>Stormin Norman</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"><p>Cuz it go's crash bang everytime you hit a bump. <p></TD></TR></TABLE><p>Come to Indy and ride in my S70. It will be the definition of "crash bang".<p>Glad I stumbled across this thread...didn't realize I'd have to replace everything else. Great heads up. Sounds like a reason to have a Volvo Club suspension replacement party.

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
Re: Symptoms that indicate a need for shocks/struts (JRL)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>JRL</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You don't need to know any symptoms.<br>114K and original? <B>No</B> shock works well after 60-70K miles<br>Everything needs to be replaced; Shocks, struts, strut mounts and spring seats...<br>JRL</TD></TR></TABLE><p>JRL is DEAD ON! The problem is that they wear out continously starting from day one and the decline is rarely a sudden failure. Replace them, you will think that you are driving a new car--and kick yourself for not having done it sooner.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts