SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had a leaking boot for a while now and I am getting around to changing it this weekend, but my question is how do I know if the damage isn't already done? I don't hear the typical axle click at full lock like I have experienced with my previous cars. Is that the only thing to pretty much look out for? Or will I be able to tell once I get it up on the lift?

·
Registered
869 Posts
Can also be in the form of vibration. I had no noise or visible signs of problems when my PS inner joint went, but it manifested as a vibration at highway speeds.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Can also be in the form of vibration. I had no noise or visible signs of problems when my PS inner joint went, but it manifested as a vibration at highway speeds.
No signs of vibration either

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
I am assuming from your previous post that you have a torn boot.

If it's not making noise, and it's not binding, you *may* well be ok.

If you caught it early on, and haven't been driving through a desert or a bunch of rain, you may not have gotten too much debris up into the joint. Which is good.

Only way to know for sure now is to take it apart, clean it thoroughly and inspect it for damage. If it looks undamaged, put a new boot and grease on it, and put it all back in.

Oh, and FWIW, both the original Volvo joints and my aftermarket set went bad without a leak at all - just more and more vibration over time. Seems like 50 mph is the "shake" speed on my R....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts