SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is my question: I love the 850 r, and 850 t5-r greatly, but hate the fact that they only came in Automatic. I live in CA so importing a canadian stick could be a nightmare. I was wondering how complicated it would be to switch out the standard auto transmission for say a t5 manual transmission. Has anyone heard of anyone doing this? Advice on the matter?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Ahh another Scott K. Is it Kelly?

Well to answer you question, which now a days seems to be a pretty common question; the general consensus is no. Although, many say anything is possible with a lot of cash and time. Just from being on multiple boards for a while I've heard many things need to be replaced to support the manual transmission. Some of the obvious, the tranny ECU, cabling, clutch, and etc. I've even heard the crankshaft needs to be replaced!
The big problem then becomes, after spending all sorts of cash on the exchange then come to find out the car won't pass emissions! Actually I would be surprised if a Canadian 850 wouldn't pass US emissions. I actually wanted to import a Canadian manual 850R at one point and from the information I got the Canadian car would pass US emissions. Well good luck and let us know what you decide to do.

Scott K

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
Owing a manual R/T5-R would be awesome, but like stkelly said, a lot of cash and time goes a long way towards doing something that you want. IMHO, it is not worth turning an automatic R/T5-R into a manual, when you can buy a S70 T5 manual for about the same price it would take to do all of the "converting + cost of car".

Plus, with the S70 T5, you can chip it and turn it into something that looks and performs like a S70R fairly easily. Since you already own a very quick ipd S70 T5, I am not sure if there would be any benefit at all in owing a 850R/T5-R other than exclusivity and looks.

You would also have to worry about the emissions testing levels and the reliablity factor afterwards, of doing a difficult conversion.

My .02..

-Drew

·
Premium Member
6,997 Posts
I'd opt for the Canadian manual. There was one for sale at a dealer in Massachusettes which leads me to believe the car is importable. It had been on Ebay a long ways back.

Anyway, you'd want to surf the NHTSA website and look for the following

1) List of Vehicles that are Importable
2) Registered Importer somehwere near you
3) if #1 doesn't have the 850R on it, a registered importer who can petition for adding cars to the list.

Either the car is now on the list, or somehow the guy who imported the Massachusettes R just "failed" to mention it wasn't the same as US Rs. Not sure there, but the R should pass with flying colors. When I moved to MD, our Project 854R passed by a large margin with the stock exhaust.

I also think Volvo was using all standard bumpers, lights and windows so you probably won't have to make any changes to the car to make it legal.

Last, the exchange rate is VERY good for an American.

·
Registered
89 Posts
In reply to George's message, I actually checked the import list at one time since I was seriously considering importing (a 95 manual yellow R!!!) , and the 850/850 Turbo was on the "pre-approved" list. I will see if I can find the link again and if I do I will post it here.

Scott

·
Premium Member
6,997 Posts
Hmmm, they all seem to be listed as automatic. That's not a deal breaker though. Those are the list of cars with a US equivalent. That doesn't mean the 850 turbo or R with manual hasn't been petitioned or couldn't be petitioned.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts