SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure what to make of this since we were told it's not possible in the US...

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Maybe it has bigger brakes? If I remember correctly that's the quoted reason why the S80 in the US isn't getting it. Or maybe the brakes aren't really the issue and they simply don't think anyone will buy it.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Maybe it has bigger brakes? If I remember correctly that's the quoted reason why the S80 in the US isn't getting it. Or maybe the brakes aren't really the issue and they simply don't think anyone will buy it.
One of the sales guys I spoke with told me the S80 would get this option this year, because the brakes were bigger. Seems he was mistaken. With sales numbers being so low, I think it's more a case of they don't think they'd sell enough of these updates to justify offering it. I'd buy it..

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's software, so I don't see where the overhead would come from if it's already developed for other markets?

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
It's software, so I don't see where the overhead would come from if it's already developed for other markets?
They don't need a justification for denying the American market a product, THEY'RE VOLVO!

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
It may be that each package has to be emissions certified. I once read (don't know how accurate it is) that these certifications cost about $50,000 per submission. So to some degree is is a cost benefit analysis: would there be enough sales to offset the cost of certification and then make a profit? Also the version offered in other countries may not meet certification here, so additional R&D might be required as well. Polestar might be able to give more info on where their break even is.

·
Registered
777 Posts
It is the brakes. The US spec (unlike Mexico and Sweden) cars have smaller brakes and that is the reason they will not permit it.

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Why does our version have smaller brakes?

·
Registered
28 Posts
More importantly: is there any way we can still get it?

·
Registered
785 Posts
One of the reason sales numbers are so low is that they don't do the extra 10-15% needed to make the S80 into a truly nice sporting sedan - small brakes for the US Market - why? 325HP Polestar tune on the S60 but not on the bigger S80 -dumbfounding. Being that sales have been so low I would argue bring all future S80 T6 with the Polestar tune standard, larger brakes and tightened up suspension tuning and do a small marketing campaign (maybe print only) emphasizing the changes and performance value. At least you would get some new reviews written by the automotive press giving the S80 some deserved attention.

·
3,391 Posts
I visited the North American International Auto Show in detroit this past weekend, and Volvo had a gorgeous display as they always do. They only had one S80, however, and it was literally stuffed in the very back corner of the display by a trash can and a service exit. It was an inscription model. They had at least two of all of the other models, including the ancient XC90 which was right up front and center! The S80 seems to be volvo's red-headed step-child. :/

They have discontinued so many of the car's interesting options for the US market. The MSRP of my 2008 S80 was just under $62,000. However, a fully-loaded inscription is now only about $54k. This is a big luxury car and they are removing available options while the competition is introducing new technology every year.

Don't even get me started about the fantastic models volvo has been releasing in Europe which they have no plans on exporting to North America. I recently read an article that explained that Volvo was ripe to pull out of the American market entirely, and it seems like that's what they're planning! A shame.

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What options have they removed?

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
The three that immediately come to mind are the V8, 4C and heartbeat sensor. I guess you could say that they got rid of Dynaudio but that was more of a replacement than a removal. They've also limited interior trim options but that has been for the entire generation. I've never understood why you can get so many options via OSD but not if you just order the car.

·
3,391 Posts
The three that immediately come to mind are the V8, 4C and heartbeat sensor. I guess you could say that they got rid of Dynaudio but that was more of a replacement than a removal. They've also limited interior trim options but that has been for the entire generation. I've never understood why you can get so many options via OSD but not if you just order the car.
I think we all agree that the heartbeat sensor is kind of gimmicky anyway, though. The V8 and 4C are a big deal. Can you get 4C as an OSD option anymore? I was looking at the OSD brochure for the S80 and I noticed they have a really unique blue leather interior available. I really liked that.

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I believe the V8 was taken out of the lineup for obvious reasons. The T6 engine now has 300 horsepower. What sense does it make to sell a V8 with 14 more horsepower (which is probably eaten up by the higher engine weight anyway) and worse fuel economy? Who would still buy the V8?

I do agree that the 325HP version would have been a better replacement for the V8, but ... oh well.

·
3,391 Posts
I believe the V8 was taken out of the lineup for obvious reasons. The T6 engine now has 300 horsepower. What sense does it make to sell a V8 with 14 more horsepower (which is probably eaten up by the higher engine weight anyway) and worse fuel economy? Who would still buy the V8?

I do agree that the 325HP version would have been a better replacement for the V8, but ... oh well.
You're right. That does make complete sense. But why stop offering 4C on the flagship car? There's nothing about it that makes it special. You can't even get the Executive Package here anymore. They have the inscription thing, but that just gets you some extra leather and some tacky embroidery.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
If anyone ever sees an S80 Dynamic, please take pictures. I am surprised this is even offered. Haven't been able to find one online or on YouTube.

That is an awesome looking sedan.

·
Registered
65 Posts
It is the brakes. The US spec (unlike Mexico and Sweden) cars have smaller brakes and that is the reason they will not permit it.
The brake issue has to be a completely bogus explanation. Here's a Q&A from the Polestar site:

Q: How does Polestar Performance affect my car's original speed inhibitor?

A: Polestar Performance does not affect the car's original speed inhibitor, which remains at the original level. The car's original brakes and tires are adapted for the car's original maximum speed and thereby limit the car's maximum speed even after a power optimization of the engine

So, since the original maximum speed is maintained, it doesn't make any difference at all what brakes are on the car. Last time I checked, the brakes have nothing to do with acceleration. And, a Polestar equipped vehicle decelerating from 100 MPH requires the same braking force as a non Polestar equipped vehicle. The proposition that the issue is the brakes was preposterous and insulting to the intelligence of people who would be buying Volvos. It more clearly has to do with them not wanting to, for whatever reason, do the certification necessary. IMHO

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
@rccon: The brakes do still matter. Here's the scenario: You're driving enthusiastically through some curves, your brakes heating up as you use them. The speed you can reach in between each curve changes based on how quickly the car accelerates. With the polestar tune, the car is now accelerating more quickly and is tuned to be more "eager" to accelerate to a higher speed in the same distance. So even though the top speed of a vehicle in a straight line hasn't changed, the speeds the brakes will have to deal with will increase in every situation. And so they must be taken into account. Not saying it's the right explanation, but it does make sense beyond the vehicle's limited top speed.

And as for the inscription package, it includes additional color options and in Europe includes the option for a black headliner. The leather is of a higher grade, as well. The C70 package includes some fancy lighting and more in addition to these things. Other than the VERY tacky embroidery (how about just Volvo or it's logo instead of Inscription?), there are some nice things about the package.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts