SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

61 - 68 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Posting to the bus is tricky for several reasons:

- Most (if not all) message-types are repeatedly transmitted by the car (up to 35 times/second). This means that a frame posted by you is almost immediately overruled by an ordinary frame. Preventing this is a challenge.
- You are writing frames with the same identifier as normal car frames. To prevent collisions (possibly resulting in bus-offs), special actions must be taken.
- Other actions are needed to prevent the system from generating/storing all kinds of DTC's.
- Be prepared to visit the dealer multiple times for DTC clearing (or get your own equipment to do so).

But the good news is: It can be done!
Could you give us more details on solely writing info to the DIM?

·
Registered
18,762 Posts
Ah ok..one problem...no one in the USA has them anymore. Volvo did an exchange for the bluetooth module.
LIAR!

:)

Seriously, I paid $895 for my Mayday Telematics System in Apr '04, for a car that I picked up in July in Germany. Thing is, by May '04, Volvo had pulled that option for the '05s, but didn't bother to say anything to us waiting for our '04 cars to be built. I didn't find until '06 that I would NOT be able to use the system when I returned to the US. $895 for a system that was never used once, and Volvo would only give me a cubby as a replacement, couldn't even get the cupholder. I had no stateside dealer to work through, and Volvo of Europe wouldn't even return my e-mails or phone calls about getting a blue-tooth module...

Come to think of it, dealer wouldn't even give me the phone module back, otherwise I would donate it to the cause...

On a seperate note, I'm about to install the Volvo Bluetooth kit (sitting in my study), and I was wondering if I could use the speaker in the headrest, or have text messages display in the dash like the mayday telematics did...

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
Come to think of it, dealer wouldn't even give me the phone module back, otherwise I would donate it to the cause...

On a seperate note, I'm about to install the Volvo Bluetooth kit (sitting in my study), and I was wondering if I could use the speaker in the headrest, or have text messages display in the dash like the mayday telematics did...
Well that stinks, I was hoping you'd be our savior. :D

Isn't the Volvo bluetooth a Motorola kit? I don't think it talks to the canbus, the muting, etc is all handled outside of it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Not much activity in this thread but it's one of the first results if you google "volvo can bus" :)

How far did you guys get? Did you get any messages decoded?

I am trying to figure out how to play with CAN on a bench, so my idea is to start by talking to an instrument cluster. Do you know packet IDs to control the cluster by any chance?

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
What connector did you use in the trunk? And what pins/wires? I found a green connector but don't know which wires I need to use.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

61 - 68 of 68 Posts