·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
From searching the archives, I have found the following info:

Stock front bar is 23.5mm
Stock rear bar is 22mm
(quoted by ipd)

There are no Volvo bushing replacements available- it looks like the bushings come with the bar only. It sounds like you also need to drop the endlinks and slide the old bushings off if you want to remove them.

My question is this- I have found Energy Suspension and Prothane polyurethane replacement bushings for the swaybar, but they come in 23mm and 24mm, no 23.5mm. Which size do I get? One will be slightly undersize, the other will be oversize.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Describe the noise more. It could be a list of other things.

·
Registered
11,927 Posts
From searching the archives, I have found the following info:

Stock front bar is 23.5mm
Stock rear bar is 22mm
(quoted by ipd)
This isn't quite correct. My understanding (based on previous threads on this forum) is that the 2004-2005 rear bar is 1mm smaller than the 2006-2007 rear bar. Also, the VR rear bar is bigger than the SR rear bar across all four years.

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
the bushings are molded to the bar.... they DONT come off.

·
Registered
195 Posts
the bushings are molded to the bar.... they DONT come off.
Its rubber against steel, with some heat and a sharp knife it sure comes off. But no need to because there is no spare part to replace it with. I've been talking to IPD about this and they are thinking about doing something, but not yet in the pipeline.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
At this point, when you have to replace the OEM swaybar anyway, why not get the IPD upgraded swaybars? Bushings are completely replaceable and it's arguably the best suspension upgrade. Not to mention I can only imagine what Volvo charges for the OEM bars.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Its rubber against steel, with some heat and a sharp knife it sure comes off. But no need to because there is no spare part to replace it with. I've been talking to IPD about this and they are thinking about doing something, but not yet in the pipeline.
Are you serious? There's no replacement part other than buying a new swaybar?!?

Do you know if my measurements are correct? It's been raining here and I haven't been able to get under the car to measure with calipers. I'd love to just buy some slightly undersize bushings and trim them to fit.... it's only 0.5mm.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
At this point, when you have to replace the OEM swaybar anyway, why not get the IPD upgraded swaybars? Bushings are completely replaceable and it's arguably the best suspension upgrade. Not to mention I can only imagine what Volvo charges for the OEM bars.
I'd love to do that as well, but the VR is my daily driver. I don't really care to do a lot of mods to it as I have several other money pits already, so I'm just hoping to get something that works with the stock bars for now.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Actually, was going to get under the car today to look at it, ran out of daylight. Will check tomorrow- I'm going to measure (with calipers) the swaybar and buy some Energy bushings and brackets if that works and burn off the old bushings with a torch.

·
Registered
919 Posts
why would those bushings go? only thing i can think of was car was run with bad shocks for a while (so it really worked the bar)

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Swaybar bushings do go bad, they're rubber. I got a good look at mine today, they're not bad as far as I can tell- no play in the bar, no play in the end links.

I still have to find the damn clunking- I think I might have to pull the strut, disassemble it and reassemble it- can you assemble the strut with too much looseness in the spring mount
so that the spring rattles at full droop? I swear it only clunks when I compress and release the suspension and it's especially bad when it affects one side first rather than both equally.
That's why I suspected the swaybar had something to do with it.

I have new shocks, shock mounts, swaybar end links, control arms and ball joints. WTF else can clunk?

Can CV joints clunk?

·
Registered
343 Posts
Just installed ipd tracks last week and loveeee it, comfort mod for terrible roads? lol
The bushings are bonded to the sway, they either break loose over time or like one of mine detach with the paint.
I had a clunk which i no-longer have, my front end over the last 6 months have been totally changed. The car over some bumps felt like it was crashing on comfort and sport, i think it may have been attributed to the sway bar on one side being fused and the other loose leading to a weird torsion. Maybe "free" the other side?
Hope this helps.

CleanerPA keep me posted on your situation, I was chasing after this for quite some time. I might be able to send a bushing down to you over the holiday, a buddy is headed to see his gf's family in PA.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Rick- Did you do anything else to try and fix the clunk?

The only other thing I have left is that I find that the one of the front springs feels like it rattles a bit if I jack the car up and let the suspension go to full droop- I wonder if there is a way to prevent that or if that is normal?

Maybe I don't have my strut tops tightened down enough?

·
Registered
459 Posts
I gonna pick up a set of 23mm prothane sway bushings.

Also gonna buy there DIY urethane kit and fill my upper mount!

Has anyone measured the sway under the bushing?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts