SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A little background- I've been chasing a rattling/clunking sound in the front end of my VR for quite some time now. This is what I've done to date:

Replaced all 4 shocks- new Monroe 4C shocks
Replaced front spring seats- Volvo XC 90 OEM parts
Replaced front control arms- Meyle HD
Replaced front ball joints- Lemforder OE
Replaced all 4 endlinks- Mevotech from Rock Auto

I've checked the top nuts on the shocks- they are tight. No movement on the spring seats or any tearing that I can see, suspension compressed doesn't change anything. No movement or play in the endlinks. I did find one lower shock bolt loose, but I fixed that problem, tightened down now. The control arms and ball joints were done at the Volvo dealer (at a somewhat reasonable price, fortunately), looks fine and no play at all. Volvo dealer did a SUM recalibration as well. I also replaced the top engine mount with IPD poly and did the IPD strut bar conversion.

I noticed that the clunking/rattling sound that I get is definitely in the front end. It usually only occurs when I compress one end of the front suspension only- then I get a clunk. On rough, washboard surfaces, I get some metallic rattling sounds sometimes. At this point I think I have to look at either the swaybar bushings or subframe bushings.

Any suggestions? This clunking is pissing me off. :mad:

·
Registered
998 Posts
Play out a situation for us: when does the noise occur on the road? e.g. speeding up, going over bumps?

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Doubt it's subframe bushings; OEM are pretty rugged. Sway bar bushings not so much and take far more abuse.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Park the car, put it in first gear without the e brake on. Go in front the the car and rock it back and fourth a Lil bit to see if it makes a noise, then do it our of gear with e brake on. Or just open up the hood and get 2 guys and push on one side of the engine bay to compress the shock as much as you can(try to mimic a bumb).

·
Registered
343 Posts
I'm thinking lower engine mount, possibly the one on the passenger side, they tend to collapse. I had one collapse on my c70 but i got a lot of vibration because it was so shot it was resting on the subframe. That could be the play causing the clunk.

·
Registered
4,740 Posts
Did you change out the upper strut bearing when you did the front seats?

I don't see that in your list and that's what breaks all the time in the R suspension.

Looks like this:

·
Registered
942 Posts
Upper Strut bearings make noise when worn, so do sway bar saddle bushings.
Those are next to replace.

I had a similar clunk, those two parts were the problem.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
I have a similar issue and maybe someone can chime in.

04 VR, OEM shocks, spring seats replaced at 92k, now at 104k. I've had this clunk for 30k miles or so but it wasn't very noticible until I started to switch over to poly bushings. I have poly on the both sides of the lower transmission strap, poly square-style top engine mount, poly rear center strut bar and solid strut mount conversion (Home Depot style).

So, when I shift the engine position, I get a single metallic bang. Going from forward to stop to reverse quickly makes it pretty loud. Once out of 2nd gear you don't hear it anymore. I thought it was transmission related, but I can make it happen while cruising in a low gear if I give it hard throttle, then let off quickly, shifting the engine position. I'm thinking engine mounts? Are they tough to replace?

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
I have seen IPD sway bar bushings wear out. I have read about the factory bar bushing de-laminating from the bar but not seen it. To test, jack up front (both wheels) of car off ground, disconnect link rods from both sides and wiggle/twist bar. you should feel ZERO play.
Also, I too have seen the top support plates wear out and rattle. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Speaking of sway bar bushings, where DO we get replacements of the bushings without the entire bar?

·
Registered
4,740 Posts

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Did you change out the upper strut bearing when you did the front seats?

I don't see that in your list and that's what breaks all the time in the R suspension.

Looks like this:

No, I didn't replace those upper strut bearings- I guess I missed that on the list. :mad:

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Park the car, put it in first gear without the e brake on. Go in front the the car and rock it back and fourth a Lil bit to see if it makes a noise, then do it our of gear with e brake on. Or just open up the hood and get 2 guys and push on one side of the engine bay to compress the shock as much as you can(try to mimic a bumb).
Compressing the individual corners with the car parked does not cause any noise, which is partly why I'm going nuts trying to find the noise.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts