SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have the size of the Evolve front and rear swaybars?

Can anyone compare Evolve's front and rear swaybars to IPD's front and rear swaybars?

·
Registered
18,762 Posts
Re: Sway bars (Tigers81)

There haven't been any reports of IPD's cracking due to hollow construction at high stress points.

Me, I like Volvo's 22mm upgrade bar for the S60R (20mm stock bar in behind in pic).

Works really well with IPDs poly bushing mounting kit.

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
Re: Sway bars ("R" Kelly)

Quote, originally posted by "R" Kelly »
There haven't been any reports of IPD's cracking due to hollow construction at high stress points.

Me, I like Volvo's 22mm upgrade bar for the S60R (20mm stock bar in behind in pic).

Works really well with IPDs poly bushing mounting kit.

Volvo's 22mm upgrade?! What are you talking about?

·
Registered
18,762 Posts
Re: Sway bars (Short Circuit)

Quote, originally posted by Short Circuit »

Are the pictures not showing up on your screen?

·
Registered
10,097 Posts
Re: Sway bars (Short Circuit)

Quote, originally posted by Short Circuit »

V70R rear sway is 22 mm.

iPD's rear sway upgrade for the S60R is also 22 mm so if you know someone who performed a rear sway upgrade on a V you could ask for the stock sway bar for your S. Or you could order a new V rear swaybar for the S.

I did the rear swaybar upgrade on the V. Later i changed to the S. The rear swaybar upgrade for the V is the same as the rear "Track kit" swaybar for the S. Scott Hart was kind enough to ship a front "Track kit" swaybar for the S to make a complete kit.

I must say the track kit behaves very well but at higher speeds it can become a bit light footed. Maybe I need to look in to alignment a bit more. I like a car to go straight with slight muscle for cornering but at the moment steering feels to light.

Difference between Evolve and iPD, we had them side by side at the June '05 Ring meeting,

The iPD bars are much stronger but also heavier. Evolve's are hollow and the welds show design flaws. I think evolve changed their design by now.

·
Registered
264 Posts

Quote, originally posted by Tigers81 »

Anyone find out the diameters?

·
Registered
872 Posts
Re: Sway bars (wrxownr)

Just for more useless conversation, I just picked up an '06 V70R rear bar slightly used off SS (it's 22mm, but the 05 and earlier V rear bar is 21mm!) and did the swap on my '06 R - took out the factory 21mm rear bar. Although I retained the factory rubber bushings (I left them bonded on), it does take a bit of the understeer out, and the price was right -$50. I'll never completely get used to the FWD bias, but it did make a difference. I'm staying with the factory springs too - anyone know if the V70R rear springs are stiffer?

The whole job took just over two hours thanks to the IPD instructions I borrowed. I did want to add that I was able to do the swap without completely removing the left shock - I just unbolted it at the bottom. Of course to get it back in, my buddy had to pry down on the control arm with a long 2x4 so I could line it back up. I probably should have thrown in the QBM endlinks, but I'll get to that soon enough!

·
Registered
261 Posts
Re: Sway bars (jrgoffin)

Hey Joe, glad to hear you're happy with the sway bar! A mm or two makes a nice difference. My wife says the same but it may have nothing to do with suspension or handling..........

John

·
Registered
872 Posts
Re: Sway bars (jmmartin155)

Quote, originally posted by jmmartin155 »
Hey Joe, glad to hear you're happy with the sway bar! A mm or two makes a nice difference. My wife says the same but it may have nothing to do with suspension or handling..........

John

Went on great John. Ouch to that comment from your wife though! Cheers, Joe.

·
Registered
246 Posts

I actually measured the stock S60R & the Evolve sways before I put them on...and of course I can't find the paper I wrote it on! Anyhow, I remember it was about 0.875" stock vs. 1.125" evolve. That's the diameter, of course.

The evolve was just slightly heavier than stock.

I'll let you know if I ever find the actual numbers!

·
Registered
4,740 Posts

Quote, originally posted by Tigers81 »

26mm

Another note: 25mm once the powder coat is wore off. I use IDP's 25mm bushing kit on my EVOLVE bars.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Re: Sway bars (KillerB)

Thanks Bryan ... is that the new blue one or the old silver? Also, is the for both front and rear?

Thanks,

·
Registered
4,740 Posts
Re: Sway bars (wrxownr)

Quote, originally posted by wrxownr »
Thanks Bryan ... is that the new blue one or the old silver? Also, is the for both front and rear?

Thanks,

It's the newer blue one. It's the same for both the front and rear.

IMHO... I don't think the diameter has changed. Just the ends of them. EVOLVE is on their 3rd or 4th revision of the connections to the sway bar.

·
Registered
6,037 Posts

Quote, originally posted by jmmartin155 »

John

it has EVERYTHING to do with handling my freind!

·
Premium Member
2,600 Posts
If anyone wants the sway bars off an '06 V70R I have a pair since I upgraded to the IPD track spec bars (which by the way I LOVE). If interested, IM me.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Re: Sway bars (R_Rated)

Quote, originally posted by R_Rated »
it has EVERYTHING to do with handling my freind!

I think John's wife was saying that it is girth that really counts!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts