SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just got my r and got the power package from evolve. i want to do some mods for cornering/handling, but only have the funds to do one of the two between new springs or the sway bars. what will make the most significant difference?

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Re: sway bars or lowering springs? (dhellz)

The sways made the biggest difference for me.

But remember, you have to factor in installation costs. I would get a labor quote from your dealer before you do anything.

·
Registered
4,740 Posts

Sways make a big difference. Springs help with cornering too. The car was too bouncy in the advanced mode before the springs.

Installation for me at the dealer was around a 1,000 for both the spring and sway bar installation. It took them about 3 days since they were unfamiliar with the aftermarket stuff.

·
Registered
4,740 Posts
Re: sway bars or lowering springs? (KillerB)

That included the alignment in the installation price...which you'll need to get done anyways after the jobs done.

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Re: (dhellz)

Quote, originally posted by dhellz »
do the three settings still work with the lowering springs? does it make the car so low that you are always worried about bottoming out?

All 3 settings still work and will be a bit stiffer than stock. Still comfortable enough for my 36 mile commute though.

I can usually avoid bottoming out, but that's only because I've become used to driving a lowered car now. If you see a steep, narrow entryway, forget about it. Don't pull up in parking spaces, do a 3 point turn instead. Go very slow if an incline looks iffy. That sort of thing.

Looks great and improves handling, but you just have to be more careful than usual.

Also remember that if your car is loaded up with people, you have to be even more careful.

·
Registered
333 Posts

i just got my r and got the power package from evolve. i want to do some mods for cornering/handling, but only have the funds to do one of the two between new springs or the sway bars. what will make the most significant difference?

you'll like the feel and looks of the springs:

-the sways or only rear sway you can wait on IMO - can't imagine my car without the springs. The new sring rates will help control the dippyness of ADV - that and put on PS2's if possible, I think they are essential, even though not as glamourus as other bolt ons

·
Registered
6,037 Posts
Re: sway bars or lowering springs? (KillerB)

Quote, originally posted by KillerB »
Sways make a big difference. Springs help with cornering too. The car was too bouncy in the advanced mode before the springs.

Installation for me at the dealer was around a 1,000 for both the spring and sway bar installation. It took them about 3 days since they were unfamiliar with the aftermarket stuff.

3 days for that = incompetence

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: sway bars or lowering springs? (R_Rated)

blf...isnt it tru if u only do the front sways you will have handling issues with over/understeer? also..i have factory body kit and am worried about the front end because i park in a garage and think the attendants will knock the front end around. other than that i think i would not hesitate in getting the springs.

·
Premium Member
3,121 Posts

There are only two options for upgrading the sway bars:

1) Upgrade the rear only.
2) Upgrade the front and rear.

There is no option to upgrade only the front -- and yes, if you were to upgrade only the front, you would have serious understeer issues. Rear only creates a neutral balance. Front and rear creates a little more oversteer.

With the factory body kit, I'd be worried about people damaging the front spoiler lips REGARDLESS of whether or not the car was stock or lowered. You're going to have problems either way. And actually, in my case, lowering the vehicle changed the angle of the car (i.e. rear was lowered more than the front) so I have had fewer clearance issues with my car lowered than I did when it was stock.

·
Registered
6,037 Posts

not to be rude...but how is that even possible to have less isssues once lowered?

Pretend the vehicle is completely level in stock form if you lower the rear slightly more than the front then the rear will go down a bit and the front will be higher as teh angle changes.

·
Premium Member
3,121 Posts

I know it sounds weird, but as I mentioned, lowering the vehicle changes the overall "angle" or "rake" of the vehicle.

Imagine sticking a jack under the rear end of the car, and jacking up only the rear. Eventually you'll get to a point where the front will start to touch the ground due to the excessive downward angle. Similarly, the vehicle has a more pronounced downward angle stock (some people call it "presenting," kinda like how a cat sticks its rear up in the air).

With the lowering springs that are out there, they almost ALL lower the rear more than the front. That means that you effectively reduce the downward angle. So, for me at least, I have less clearance issues going into parking lot/driveway entrances now than I did before.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
r salesman....what brand springs do you suggest. I have done all evolve performance stuff to my car because of the fact that a volvo dealership by me works with evolve, so it gave me confidence to stick with evlove...but for springs im open for suggestions.

·
Premium Member
3,121 Posts

For my personal vehicle, I chose Eibach springs and ipd's track-spec set up. I have been extremely pleased with the improvement in handling I received.

Here's my take on springs:

Evolve = lowers the vehicle the most front and rear
Eibach/Heico = lowers the vehicle but leaves a slight downward rake (which I like)
TME = lowers the vehicle the least (hardly at all) but supposedly offers the stiffest spring rate of them all.

Do a search for pics and you'll see the difference.

Now with regard to who you should go with: your choice. I think it would make sense to stick with Evolve's product line is that's what your dealership offers and has experience installing. If they offer other product lines, then it wouldn't hurt to do some more research yourself to see what fits your needs/wants the most. Different strokes for different folks, as they say.

·
Registered
3,582 Posts

I remember someone posted awhile back about some major problems he was having because he only upgraded the rear sway. If I were you, I'd save up a little more money to get both. If you are eventually going to get both, the installation costs of two installations will be a lot more than if you just installed both springs and sways at the same time.

·
Registered
6,888 Posts
Re: sway bars or lowering springs? (PhilUp)

Quote, originally posted by PhilUp »
I remember someone posted awhile back about some major problems he was having because he only upgraded the rear sway.

No that particular person had major problem because he only upgraded the rear SPRINGS. A lot of people are running with the upgraded rear swaybar only have no complaints. JRL has been running his for the longest time I believe and he doesn't have any complaints.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts