SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried searching but did not find any listings for the spring rates of the various sway bars for S40's, ipd, Elevate, etc... I know the sizing of the bars but does anyone have the effective spring rates as either measured or presented by each relative manufacturer?

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
Good luck with that...
Since our rear bar is a very basic shape & the lever arm doesn't vary significantly between all the offerings I think that diameter will actually give a pretty good comparison. For reference the IPD bar is only .5mm larger than the largest factory SPORT bar (of which 3 are offered for S40/V50). The new C30 R uses an identical diameter to the IPD. The Elevate is a few mm larger. CorkSport offers the only adjustable bar I'm aware of. Very reasonably priced & will give you some tuning options. Depending on what you want to accomplish one of these should work just fine. In general, AWD cars seem to work best with the Elevate, especially the V50. FWDs work well with the IPD. The Elevate feels great on FWD but can bite you in the ass in snow/rain. I autocross with a factory "comfort" front bar & large factory "sport" in the rear. Actually very well balanced & keeps the front inside tire from spinning. The point is, don't over do it & take into consideration what you already have on the car.

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
It should be able to be Calculated by the Type of Material , Size of Material , Length an Effective Leverage Arm . Just look up some Material Spec's , and Twisting Modulus .

Other then that - We'd Like the Secret Sauce Recipe for Sticky Lips Ribs : LOL

·
Registered
28 Posts

Not 100% accurate but something to compare with. Not saying your spring rates will double, but the bar itself will be x amount stiffer.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great information, very much appreciated. I have the formula to calculate the spring rates, but I haven't actually measured any of the bars yet to plug in the values. I was just wondering of the various vendors ever promoted any values other than the diameter. The reason I ask is that I have access to some splined torsion bar material in various lengths and diameters and I was thinking of fabbing up a bar or two for fun and to see how it would perform against the aftermarket alternatives out there.

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
Sweet, that is the greatest way to fab up a sway bar! Our rear bar is just perfect for this since you don't need any fancy bends. You could create an extremely tunable bar with multiple link mounting points. Very similar to the Corksport but even better.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts