SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had my sway bars installed and am experiencing terrible rubbing/dull squeaking in the front when the car dips -- can grease be added to the bushings after the fact?

Also, the steering seems to want to dart to one side or the other under acceleration and braking? Can sway bars cause this?

Suggestions?

Thanks!

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Re: (R_Rated)

Quote, originally posted by R_Rated »
sounds like installation integrity.
A SERIOUS installation problem, someone screwed up
A stupid question but did you ALIGN the car afterwards?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: (JRL)

Not a stupid question -- the alignment, I believe is fine.

My dealership did the install and regrettably, I'm not confident that anything non-standard is commonplace around there.

I, like perhaps many, am critical of work that one pays for, so I'll tone down the categorization of "terrible" on the sqeaking. Let's just say that the fact that I can hear it is too much noise for me....

Can you guys give me more specific instruction on fixes, or guidance in instructing them on the fix?

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Re: (jroux)

There is NO way that the alignment was messed up with the swaybar install ANYHOW..JRL just likes to make sure you do an alignment AND update the 4C setpoint whenever you touch the suspension (whether it is really necessary or not!)lol

I'm not sure WHAT is wrong.... Look under the car and make sure the supports are well torqued down and the sway bar end links look secure...

How many miles on the car? This MAY possibly just be the worn stock links showing their age under the increased load of the MUCH stiffer sway...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: (cschmelz)

57k on the '04. Not likely an under lubricated bushing? If not, switch out the stock links (this coming from someone that is very new to mods and other than putting in gas...
)?

Again the sound only comes from a compression in the front end (hitting a bump in the road, etc.)

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Re: (cschmelz)

Sounds like links to me
Subframe is usually dropped for install which means an alignment IS NECESSARY.
Don't listen to the children who don't know s**t

·
Registered
6,037 Posts
Re: (JRL)

Quote, originally posted by JRL »
Sounds like links to me

sounds like the installers need to go back to jiffy lube...

If it is that bad the techs should have been able to see that before you got your car back!

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Re: (R_Rated)

Quote, originally posted by R_Rated »

sounds like the installers need to go back to jiffy lube...

If it is that bad the techs should have been able to see that before you got your car back!
Not always, if they're not looking for it (incompetency, but not always obvious) you an miss it

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: (garbergtsi)

Quote, originally posted by garbergtsi »
Evolve sway's making noise?
never heard that one before...

Okay -- you know something that obviously I don't.... Evolve issues, perhaps?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Re: Sway bar question (jroux)

The sway bars on mine are still creaking and groaning like an old galley ship.

The sway bars will have to be removed and re-greased and then reassembled. This will probably be about 3 to 4 hours of a mechanics time for front and rear bars. The grease to use (available in a tube at any auto supply store) is "Dielectric Tune Up Grease". This grease has the correct properties to not affect the polyurethane bushes.

I am not sure if KillerB has had the creaking problem return after Evolve fixed his issue??

The long term solution is probably to replace the bushes with a solid plastic bushes similar to IPDs - stay tuned I am trying alternatives.

But you should be rapt with the improvement of the uprated bars. Try setting on max settings for o/steer, great fun.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts