SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone replaced their sway bar bushings? I have my money on it that it's the bushings. I am getting a hollow metallic clunk in the front end. The car was just at the dealer and they said nothing was loos. I can feel it at my feet going slow over bumps. I don't think it's the IPD end links, but that is also a possibility. They were pretty stiff last week when I wiggled on them. I wonder if it can be done without dropping the sub frame

·
Registered
648 Posts
I would have a look at those endlinks again. If your front swaybar bushings (stock) have failed it might be the first ones ever.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Did you look at the endlinks yet? One major problem with endlinks is, with any kind of bushing wear or loosening of the fasteners, they tend to clunk. Another problem is, once you have removed or replaced them, they tend to loosen up again very easily, making them clunk. Maybe reassemble them to the proper tq spec and this time use threadlock and plenty of time for that threadlock to dry, and hopefully they'll hold. Also: aftermarket endlinks using any kind of poly bushings tend to wear much faster than factory bits. It's certainly not unheard of for poly bits to wear out in 20k miles, especially if they are subjected to yucky Northeast weather, salt, and grime associated with said weather.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the info, I got around to jacking the car up and replaced the IPD units with Meyle HD's. One of the IPD end link ball joints were toast and was giving me terrible on and off vibration at highway speed in the steering wheel. I had my tires balanced 3xs. I finally figured it out.

Did you look at the endlinks yet? One major problem with endlinks is, with any kind of bushing wear or loosening of the fasteners, they tend to clunk. Another problem is, once you have removed or replaced them, they tend to loosen up again very easily, making them clunk. Maybe reassemble them to the proper tq spec and this time use threadlock and plenty of time for that threadlock to dry, and hopefully they'll hold. Also: aftermarket endlinks using any kind of poly bushings tend to wear much faster than factory bits. It's certainly not unheard of for poly bits to wear out in 20k miles, especially if they are subjected to yucky Northeast weather, salt, and grime associated with said weather.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Thanks for the info, I got around to jacking the car up and replaced the IPD units with Meyle HD's. One of the IPD end link ball joints were toast and was giving me terrible on and off vibration at highway speed in the steering wheel. I had my tires balanced 3xs. I finally figured it out.

My IPD HD end links lasted less than 1 year (8 months). I replaced them with Volvo OEM and problem solved. Those IPD HD end links are junk.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts