SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
i have been looking on the internet extensively to find a solution for my problem and hope that someone have done what I am planning to do and is willing to share the solution.
I have a 2003 V70 XC (B5254T2 low pressure turbo) with a shot engine. I have found a good engine from a 2003 S60 (B5244T3 low pressure turbo) . I have purchased the whole sub frame with a good engine and transmission including the wire harness. After buying the replacement engine i found out that the V70 engine has an intake and exhaust VVT while the replacement engine has only the exhaust VVT. I should have done my homework.
I also have the ECM out of the V60. I thought to simply exchange the sub frame from the V70 with the one from the S60 after I have bolted the angle gear from the XC onto the new engine.
I am not familiar with electronics in new cars. I am use to work on Volvo's golden oldies like the !22 an P1800. So my main question what can I do to get the new engine running without problems. What should I do now I have an engine with only an exhaust VVT. If I replace the ECM with the one which belongs to the new engine it probably will run the engine but a whole lot of electronics from the V70 XC will be compromised.
hopefully one of you have experience what to do in this situation. Cheers

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
You'll need to swap the old head onto the new engine. Depends I guess on what you describe as "Shot" may determine whether the head is any good.
Swapping ECM's will cause major headaches with the CANBUS electronics, immobilizer and more than you want to deal with.
Other option would be to sell the one you bought and get a correct engine for a swap. Or maybe rebuild the head/have it checked and swap over. Everything will bolt up otherwise. Swapping just the exhaust cam and cam carrier may not be successful as the head and cam carrier are machined for each other.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
that man speaks the truth.

swap the heads or find the correct motor. get the cam tools to hold the gears when you swap heads.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the quick reply guys. The head should be good. the problem with the shot engine is in the bottom part. Probably a bearing. Assuming the head is ok when I swap the head with the dual vvt's onto the engine with the one vvt and exchange the wiring harness as well it should work?
It sounds simple but there must be a catch somewhere. Any tips how to tackle this head swap?
Thanks

·
Registered
16,971 Posts
Are you sure the 03 Has intake VVT ? I thought that was only an 04+ thing ?

·
Registered
17,736 Posts

·
Registered
17,736 Posts
the bottom ends should be identical.
head swap is literally the same as head R/R, ust use the original to the car.
They're not. 2.5t is stroked, 2.4 is not. But they will bolt together. Water pipe may have to be changed.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Can't you just leave the other VVT solenoid unplugged or weld the VVT pulley?
I want to replace an engine with two VVT's for one with one VVT so no welding is required. What the consequence would be when I put that engine in with the one VVT. The ECM would read a missing intake VVT so at least I've got an engine light coming up if it would run great I would not mind that.
The advise which is already given to change the heads make sens but I wish there was a way around that. Summer is coming and I would like to get the car running.
Thanks guys so far for responding.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Where I live(Rural Canada) we don't have problems with inspections. That's the reason why I am not bothered with a check engine light as long it will run fine.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts