SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone! Always heard of swedespeed and finally decided to get one, to be apart of the crew!

Anyway, today marks the last day that I’ll be swapping in my new T5 into my s40 after some overheating troubles. Other P1 people may understand! So It’s taken most of the free time I’ve had over the past two weeks to get to the point I’m at now, taking the old engine out, switching over transmission, etc. I’m finally at a point of putting the engine in and I’m getting really stressed just by looking at the wiring harness. Holy cow!

I think I’m gonna start by attaching the most important things, like the wire that lead to the ignition coils and injectors and stuff, but has anyone messed around with that huge hunk of a wiring harness before?

Any suggestions on where I should begin? And what should I be aware of/ make sure of before trying to start the car with the new engine? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
So I'm guessing you didn't Masking Tape + Marker and label each one as you pulled it off?

Well - the largest hunks go to the ignition coils, and the ECM, one to the fuse box. One to the thermostat, one to the oil pressure sensor. Two go to the front impact sensors - 2 the front lights, 2 to the front fogs (if equipped), two the horns. One goes to the TCV, one goes to the crank sensor, two to the VVT Solenoids and two to the cam sensors.

That's all I can think of at this time. I'm fairly sure they're ALL different, so mixing them up won't be super easy.

Might look daunting but start with the basics and regrease them up as you apply them so if you have to disassemble, you'll be in much better shape. Take photos of what's left and we can help from there.

·
Super Moderator
15,165 Posts
Engine swaps on these cars is easy. If you got the engine back in the car and got the transmission reattached, then the worst is behind you.

As suggested, start with the basics. Unless you removed all the wire looms, if you get one known plug lined up, the rest of the connectors naturally fall where they belong.
Make sure you get the grounds all connected.

If you get stuck, post a picture of what you're confused about and we can probably identify where it goes.

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
If you run in to serious trouble PM me and I'll come over with my V50 so we can compare. I also have VIDA which can help troubleshoot. I've done a P1 motor swap as well.

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
If you run in to serious trouble PM me and I'll come over with my V50 so we can compare. I also have VIDA which can help troubleshoot. I've done a P1 motor swap as well.
Seconded. I work in Denver so I'm there everyday. I can always "work late" one night, and cruise home after rush hour.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts