SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There appear to be multiple threads with owners who have successfully done this. Others report failures, or issues. I'm looking for help ...

Wife and I are T-Mobile customers, not ATT customers. The ATT SIM that came with our 2018 XC60 T6 R Design expired after 3 months. I hope to replace it, swapping in a TMO SIM. Volvo support says "Our vehicle's are only equip thru At&T."

TMO tried to sell us a SyncUP Drive that plugs to the OBD port. This is NOT what I need. https://www.t-mobile.com/tablet/t-mobile-syncup-drive-2 . It might be nice to get text messages if someone bumps or tows my car, but I don't need a virtual fence for family monitoring, driving behavior statistics for safer driving, or vehicle health and maintenance, as exmples.

Has anyone here done this and made it work? What is it you order from TMO -- a mobile internet SIM with a package of something between 2 to 22 GB of connectivity? Does this permit you to operate streaming services like Spotify and Pandora? Does it operate as a hotspot for connected devices like phones/laptops/tablets? Does it support downloads of apps and maps -- and are those downloads faster than waiting forever for downloads through the Volvo modem/antenna? what's the approximate cost per month? Are you connecting at 3G? 4G?

And, when you bought the SIM, did this qualify as an add-a-line promotion?

In advance, much and many thanks.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I tried setting this up with T-Mobile as well since I recently switched from ATT to T-Mobile. The answer is that it can be done, and there was a plan that would cost just $10/month to do it, but I’ve forgotten the exact name of it. The downside is that it wouldn’t count as a line on the main phone plan, so it wouldn’t make me eligible for their multi-line promotions.

In the end, T-Mobile had some issues provisioning the SIM because initially they had tried to port in the car's ATT number, and this cannot actually be done. In the end, I stuck with ATT for the car and switched the SIM to the $10/month prepaid plan. I figured that way I’d be able to hedge my bets as well: if I’d ever be in area without T-Mobile reception, I’d still be able to connect by using the car's WiFi hotspot.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I swapped the original sim for a sim from the phone/net/cable supplier that I use. Rogers Cable in Canada. This sim shares 6Gb of monthly data with our phones. This sim counts as a “tablet” and has a mobile number and costs $10 a month. It seems to manage to download map updates, install and run Spotify. It does act as a car hotspot and I can log into the car with my IPad and connect to anywhere. I have no idea about any sort of special stuff for Volvo but I am sure that if it does I will find out somehow.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I swapped the original sim for a sim from the phone/net/cable supplier that I use. Rogers Cable in Canada. This sim shares 6Gb of monthly data with our phones. This sim counts as a “tablet” and has a mobile number and costs $10 a month. It seems to manage to download map updates, install and run Spotify. It does act as a car hotspot and I can log into the car with my IPad and connect to anywhere. I have no idea about any sort of special stuff for Volvo but I am sure that if it does I will find out somehow.

Is Rogers using GSM or CDMA networks?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Is Rogers using GSM or CDMA networks?
Rogers is all GSM mostly LTE 4G. With some 3G spots.
I think GSM is called UTMS nowadays.

I don’t think any network in Canada uses CDMA, the last one was switched late last year.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Rogers is all GSM mostly LTE 4G. With some 3G spots.
I think GSM is called UTMS nowadays.

I don’t think any network in Canada uses CDMA, the last one was switched late last year.

Gotcha. My provider (XFINITY) uses Verizon’s CDMA network so I don’t think it would work. I should try it though. My hunt for a low cost gsm will start if/when Spotify (premium) stops working.

·
Registered
724 Posts
I was under the impression that the XC60 had an LTE modem. In that case, Verizon's network should work.

I could be wrong about that though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts