SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend has a 2000 V70 SE and I just took out an SC-900 from my '98 V70R. I was wondering if I could put the SC-900 in his. I assume you can. Would there be a difference in sound if I did this. I don't know if he'd want it because the CD3 isn't working, but I wonder if the overal sound quality for the radio would be worth it to do?

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Re: Swap SC-816 for SC-900 (soledoc)

He needs the matching amp, otherwise he will get no sound.<br>Otherwise it will sound better

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Swap SC-816 for SC-900 (JRL)

So his car as it is doesn't have the amp? Therefore, I couldn't do the swap as is and get sound?

·
Registered
692 Posts
Re: Swap SC-816 for SC-900 (soledoc)

The SC-90x requires an external amp. Not difficult to install, but it won't be plug and play in the v70se w/o it. The SC-816s have a built-in amp.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Re: Swap SC-816 for SC-900 (Duett)

There's a chance that, whatever you put in your car, that you're not even using the original external amp that your SC-900 required. If that's the case, then you should be able to remove that amp, as well as the mounting bracket and the wiring harness between the head unit and the amp, and include those among the parts that you'd swap into his car.<p>Yes, there will be an improvement in sound. *My opinion* is that it will be a substantial improvement, but that's obviously a very subjective matter. You'll have to decide for yourself about what it's worth, and you won't know that until you hear it.<p>For some more background about all of this, you might read the "full-length" story of what I went through to improve the sound in my S70. See <A HREF="http://www.jimrothe.com/volvo/volvo-dynaudio.html" TARGET="_blank">http://www.jimrothe.com/volvo/volvo-dynaudio.html</A>.<p>

1 - 5 of 5 Posts