SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

The timing belt snapped in my 2003 s60 awd, so I need to change the engine. I've found an s60R motor for a decent price and I was wondering if it would be compatible with my car? Any help will be most appreciated.

Mark.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
Mark, there is a few different things on the R engine, dont remember if your engine has dual VVT´s for example. There is a lot of info about it from Lucky, one of the best person about tune and volvo area, give him a call www.ardideas.com and for sure he will tell you all you need.

·
Registered
4,640 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forums.

Might I suggest doing a bit of basic research on the subject before calling a tuner. Lucky specializes in ECU tuning and would be great to talk to once you have the motor installed.

Lets start with a basic statement that yes the S60R engine is compatible with your car. The degree to which it is plug and play depends on the exact year of the R engine and what accessories you plan to swap. Basically 01-04' there are three different engines, LPT, HPT and R. They are all essentially the same turbocharged inline 5 cylinder but do have small differences like compression ratio, turbocharger sizing, boost psi, etc... You can drop any of them into your S60 and it will bolt up, but you need to match the accessories accordingly and will need to make sure the car is tuned for the engine that it ends up with. You can't just swap ECUs in these years so you are looking at getting a custom ECU flash.

You can even use the 05-09 engines with dual VVT, you just leave the front VVT unplugged and it's good to go. Safe to say you can run newer motors in the older cars much easier than running an older engine in a newer car.

Here's the best info availible on the differences between the various years and trims of the Volvo Whiteblock Engine.

http://volvospeed.com/vs_forum/topic/135486-revised-n-whiteblock/

Good luck and feel free to post your progress and questions here,
NJGB

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It seems that my car has the lpt, dual vvt, 2.5l engine. It also seems that it's a lot more work than I had hoped. My goal is to get my car working with spending as little money as possible. I wasn't clear on that in my original post. The only motor I can find in my area is a 2004 R. I guess I should just wait for a non R motor to turn up. Thanks for the advice.

Mark

·
Registered
4,017 Posts

·
Registered
4,640 Posts
No you should have a 2.4L LPT single VVT engine for 2003 AWD. 2.5T didn't come out until 2004.

If you want to send me your VIN I can double check everything for you and might be able to help you source a motor. Where are you located anyways? Might be a motor for sale locally on here or on Volvospeed(post a want ad).

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Call me stupid, but what happened that can't be fixed with a replacement head and possibly new pistons? The 2.4L short block is the same as N/A, so sourcing pistons shouldn't be a problem. I understand that swapping engines should be quicker, and thusly lower labor costs, but since the R engine has a different bore (or was it stroke?), injectors, exhaust manifold, turbo and much different needs in cooling both water and oil, and that THEN you have to frankenstein the ME7 ECU, seems that a rebuild might be a better course of action.

NJGB, does only the R have DVVT? Or if not, what year/blocks got the DVVT vs SVVT?

·
Registered
4,640 Posts
R has different bore and stroke depending on years, that wouldn't matter much if you are just swapping the block, you could run all the old accessories like manifolds, turbo parts, etc...and it would all swap over and realistically the ECU wouldn't even mind the difference in displacement and compression, it's a small change and the car would run and drive like normal with the stock ecu. I believe Chilledman can confirm that you can swap in a R block into a 2.4T without any changes in ECU, they cars aren't smart enough to know the displacement. If you were going to run higher than stock boost than a custom tune would be the smart way to go but not needed for the 6psi.

Re: VVT, check that Whiteblock thread on VS i linked to, it has all that info in there plus cam lift, rod size, etc.........

edit here ya go:
2001-2004 2.3 T5 Single VVT
2001-2004 2.4 LPT Single VVT
2005-2009 2.4 T5 Dual VVT
2003-2009 2.5 LPT Dual VVT
2004-2009 2.5 R Dual VVT

funny enough notice that shows a 2003 2.5T LPT Dual VVT, kinda like OP mentioned. I wonder what those came in, did OP ever confirm his engine type?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I checked my VIN and I've confirmed that I have a B5254T2 engine which is the 2.5 LPT Dual VVT.

I live in the Toronto area in Canada.

Thaxman, I haven't found anyone willing to rebuild the existing engine. They just want to replace the whole block and I don't want to attempt it myself.

Another factor is the engine has 280 000 km, so a used block with less mileage would be a bonus.

Other than the motor the car is in excellent condition so I'd like to salvage it, if it makes sense financially.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Did I read this correctly;
the 2.4t (2001) and 2.4 na (2001) have the same engine block (the lower part)?

I have a 2.4t with a cracked cylinder wall; can I use my 2.4t cylinder head (and all other equipment) to run it on a 2.4 na block?

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Did I read this correctly;
the 2.4t (2001) and 2.4 na (2001) have the same engine block (the lower part)?

I have a 2.4t with a cracked cylinder wall; can I use my 2.4t cylinder head (and all other equipment) to run it on a 2.4 na block?
I may have spoken out like an expert, & in that I err. What I was surmising, it that an aluminum block that is a certain bore and year is most likely the same whether it is in a 2.4 N/A, LPT or any other non-reinforced block that is the same bore. Do I have proof? no, but large-scale production economics would point that way.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I understand. There's a very nice thread on a S60R with now a S/V70R (<2000) engine in it; the owner is trying to get it working 100%.

For me it would be nice to have something stronger (T5?) than a 2.4t in there since my cilinder walls are cracked now. And also to know if a 2.4t awd XC70 engine would run fine in my s60 2.4t (no I don't think I will have AWD afterwards, just need the block to run without coolant issue).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts