SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I come once again seeking help and the seemingly infinite knowledge of the group. Last year I bought a highly upgraded 97 850 R sedan that had been rear ended, totalled out, and was about to be parted. It has all manner of IPD goodies and is mechanically excellent with only 120k, but the damage will likely be too much to repair as both rear quarters are smashed in.

My question is this: what other Volvo platforms can I swap my goodies onto? For example, I’d like to find a 98-2001 awd wagon with a bad engine as a new body for my drivetrain. Forgive my ignorance, but will the awd models use a different transmission? Would such an awd setup be compatible with a 5 speed swap (I think some 70 series cars were both)? Would my upgraded ecu and torque/hp jive with a Volvo awd system? Would the ipd exhaust on my 850 sedan be adaptable to a v70? If I were to find an 850 wagon/sedan, could it be readily upgraded to awd using components from v70?

Repeated apologies for ignorance. I have used the search function but really need to nail down some specific answers in the pursuit of building a ~300 hp awd wagon. Also thought about building out a c70 instead....

Thanks in advance for your accumulated wisdom.

·
Registered
16,681 Posts
None of that will really work. Newer parts are backwards compatible with older cars but not the other way around. The simpler electronics of the 850 allow you to make a lot of changes that the newer cars will pitch a fit about.

AWD will just make it heavy and slow. What you want is FWD with really sticky tires and a LSD. If I was doing a project with parts from that car, I would take the easy path to victory and buy another 850 sedan with a clean shell, swap the interior into it (as I recall this car had pretty mint tan 850R interior) and drop the entire subframe into it. Building off of the older 850 parts doesn't yield as good a result as using newer parts (like I am doing with my 850R), which is why I would be inclined to take the easy path to victory here. What you'll get taking that path will be good and worth the effort, but, if you're trying to do something more ambitious, you might be better off starting from scratch.

·
Registered
819 Posts
If it were me, I'd just find another clean 96-97 turbo car and swap parts.

If you're really wanting an AWD wagon, then it would be best to start from scratch and sell of the performance parts that won't transfer over. For example, FWD exhausts will not fit AWD.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts