SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
In the 2007-2011 S80 the headlight switch does not have an auto option, but all the interior lights are automatic. The headlights just stay on as daytime running lights, but in the 2012+ models there is an "Auto" selection which uses the parking lights as DRL's and switches the main beams on at night. It makes no sense that the 2011 model does not have it because it has a light sensor for the interior lights and dimming mirror.

I was wondering if it would be as simple as swapping the older style headlight switch out for a newer one to get automatic headlights. Or do I just need some programming, my car is a US one, but it has the Canadian headlight system where the 'O' position is always on.
I know running the headlights constantly reduces the reflective coating of the headlight housing, and I would like to actually make use of the parking lights.

Reference:

2007-2011:

2012+:

Registered
Plug and play it'll work but the auto wont do anything as the car doens't know what to do with that mode. I tried installing one in my 2007 car and as I recall it, the low-beams remained on in the auto mode. They're on in 0 also so I don't know for sure which mode the car was using, regular or 0.

Maybe, perhaps and possibly it might work if you reconfigure the car using VDASH but I haven't looked in to that.

I have never thought that running these projector xenons would compromise the reflective coating. Is this a "potential" issue? I've never heard anyone have such issues either. Only failing headlights I know of have had moisture inside them.

Registered
Constant on will eventually cause burn on the inside of the reflector. Our 04 XC90 had slight burn on the inside of the reflectors. The headlights were set to auto via VIDA. Problem was that even though the car had DRLs (inside reflector closest to the grill) the car would always prefer to keep the HIDs on.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts