SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1281 - 1290 of 1290 Posts

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,281 ·
Well friends, bad news ahoy

August 11, I was driving home from central BC and the upper heater hose blew in the 38 degree C heat. It happened on a steep mountain grade (650m elevation gain in 20km), and I had to get it towed the remaining 280km home. Symptoms were: low coolant light on shortly before failure, coolant temp gauge normal, oil all over the rear of the engine and transmission, coolant all over the transmission, air box, turbo inlet pipe, air filter soaked in coolant and puddled in air box, engine was extremely hot, wouldn't start. Added water and it boiled violently for several minutes

Since then I've done some investigating and diagnosing.
  • Drained the oil and coolant, both were perfectly clean, but only about 1L of coolant remained (despite me topping it up after breaking down).
  • Pulled the plugs and the cylinders were dry.
  • Pulled the distributor and rotor to find the rear cam seal literally fall out into my hand.
  • Replaced the rear cam seal
  • Filled cooling system with water, cranked the engine and found the split heater hose and replaced. The hose was spraying out directly into the fresh air pipe, which wasn't completely sealed to the air box. This explained the air filter being soaked with coolant
  • Filled again, no leaks.
  • Cranked the engine, leak out the back side of the block somewhere. Pulled the plugs, cylinders 2,3,4 full of water, 1 had a very small amount, 5 was dry.

At this point, based on the water in cylinders 2-4, and the leak out the back side of the block, I think the head is banana'd. I don't see a point in resurfacing the head, doing a full teardown and rebuild, especially since the car is at my parents' place which is a 1.5hr ferry ride away which already makes it enough of a logistical nightmare. I'm thinking I need to find a junkyard engine or a cheap 850 turbo and drop in a complete motor, which I can refresh along the way.

Rest in peace B5234T4, 1996-2021, 279,869km.

·
Registered
17,703 Posts
Yep time for a fresh block. When they get that cooked the deck droops too.

·
Registered
6,215 Posts
Wow. Major bummer. It’s like these cars want to take your mood down a notch when you’re feeling pretty good about things, LOL. At least it sounds like you have a plan.

·
Registered
17,008 Posts
Yeah you want to swap the whole engine. When this happened to my T-5R I did go to the effort to save the block only because of the historical significance of the car. The block was out of flat by a couple thousandths and it was a lot of work sanding down the high ends. Not recommended.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Yeah you want to swap the whole engine. When this happened to my T-5R I did go to the effort to save the block only because of the historical significance of the car. The block was out of flat by a couple thousandths and it was a lot of work sanding down the high ends. Not recommended.
Jared, You know they have equipment for that right??

·
Registered
17,008 Posts
Jared, You know they have equipment for that right??
Yes....problem was I left the block in the car. That project didn't really play out as I had initially envisioned lol.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,288 ·
Yep time for a fresh block. When they get that cooked the deck droops too.
Wouldn’t be surprised it that were the case. It held water no problem, but leaked quite badly as soon as I cranked the engine. I didn’t know there was water in the cylinders at that point, as it had been dry previously

Wow. Major bummer. It’s like these cars want to take your mood down a notch when you’re feeling pretty good about things, LOL. At least it sounds like you have a plan.
It sure feels like that a lot of the time! No real plan yet, but I’m working on it. There was an $800 850 Turbo on Craigslist that I found last night, called the guy this morning and it was sold yesterday Next best option is a 190,000km engine at a junkyard in northern BC, but it’ll be about $1200 with shipping…

For sure, I just wish these engines were more readily available, but they’re getting pretty rare at this point.

I can’t believe you hand sanded it!

Sad news but I know you will get her back on the road in no time.
Thank you, me too. I’m lucky that this car isn’t my daily anymore, or I’d be in a much bigger pickle. I can afford to wait a little bit for the right opportunity to come up

A little taste of the BC interior on the last trip with this engine, hopefully many more still to come!

Obligatory “I’m fukked” photo. Yep, that’s forest fire smoke in the background

·
Registered
17,008 Posts
I can’t believe you hand sanded it!

I’m lucky that this car isn’t my daily anymore, or I’d be in a much bigger pickle. I can afford to wait a little bit for the right opportunity to come up
Well I have some excellent metal sanding blocks and straight edges so it could have been far worse. But it was still a lot of work.

Having one car is for people with a warranty!

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Man…. Sorry to hear the bad news. Some (myself included) would consider it an upgrade opportunity’

$$ can’t buy you happiness, but it can buy you HP, and its kinda the same thing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: JaredR
1281 - 1290 of 1290 Posts