SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1261 - 1280 of 1290 Posts

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,261 ·
You got a like for the puppy! The nice thing about Subaru’s is the endless amount of mods and aftermarket bits available to you. A second gen Legacy GT was tempting when I was first looking at wagons, but I stayed the course and got my XC. If a clean example, in the right color had come along, it might have been a different outcome.
Yep, definitely a bigger aftermarket which is nice! Might have to carve out some time and budget for a bit of a lift and some all-terrains for it...

I’m really happy with it so far, it feels like a solid car and drives really well, the mileage is unassuming.

Here’s a bit more bonus puppy content

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,262 ·
Started refinishing the rear spoiler today, made some good progress!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17,008 Posts
Puppy looks good. So does the wing. I'd pull the brake light for painting though.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,264 ·
Puppy looks good. So does the wing. I'd pull the brake light for painting though.
For the sake of avoiding any lines in the paint?

I thought about it, but this is what the center torx looks like...

·
Registered
17,008 Posts
Yeah lines in the paint suck but oh wow. I mean I'd try to take it out; not really anything to lose if you strip the head...but I see the issue LOL.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,266 ·
Got the spoiler back on the car, it’ll still need a wet sand and polish but it turned out alright! The conditions were a little too cold and I didn’t go quite thick enough on each layer of clear, so the finish isn’t quite what I wanted, but I’m hoping to get it much shinier eventually. The underside is actually much better, as I did it on a different day which was about 6 degrees warmer, and had learned from my previous mistakes... But that will never be seen!

Did a full interior and exterior detail today, and tomorrow I’m doing an engine bay detail and getting 2 new Indy 500 tires, to replace the irreversibly damaged one. Then time to put the Volans on. This way, I can also swap out my 15 year old spare tire, woohoo!

Taking photos for my collector plate application tomorrow and I’m super excited!!

·
Registered
13,986 Posts
Your car looks great! (y)

·
Registered
17,008 Posts
yeah ^

maybe it's just the pics but your paint on the car itself looks better than mine.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,269 ·
Your car looks great! (y)
yeah ^

maybe it's just the pics but your paint on the car itself looks better than mine.
Thanks guys!

Jared - the paint is quite solid overall, there’s some spots that need attention in due time, but it cleans up well. It had been over a year since I’d last waxed it, so it was pretty oxidized

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,270 · (Edited)
Now the real photos

Polarizing filters are pretty damn awesome

I can’t remember who pointed it out last time, but this time I turned the climate control dials properly, except I missed the right one by one click And forgot the cigarette lighter insert. I’ll have to redo this photo lol

·
Registered
17,008 Posts
Nice. I guess I need to get a polarizer filter. Lol.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,272 ·
Nice. I guess I need to get a polarizer filter. Lol.
It’s pretty amazing honestly. I’ve been wearing polarized sunglasses since 2013 but didn’t stop to think until recently how great the same thing would be for photography

The filter I’m using is an AmazonBasics 67mm CPL (circular polarizing filter) and it’s like $20, definitely worth picking one up

Here’s without the polarizer (both photos are straight out of the camera)

And with it

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,275 ·
Looks amazing

Note to self to purchase a polarised filter
Definitely worth it! They have amazing results with landscape photos as well, haven’t tried it with portraits yet though

That transition on the hood from reflection to solid rich red....perfection! I will drive to Canada to learn your ways.
Pretty cool right! I’m going to try to put together a gif of a sequence of photos I took while slowly rotating the filter, should turn out pretty awesome. Haha see you in Canada once the border finally opens

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,278 ·
Noticed the beginnings of an exhaust leak a couple weeks ago... Took a look at the exhaust today! Found the culprit at the exit of the cat. Hopefully that’ll be a pretty easy fix to weld up

Also noticed this humming noise from the back end a few months ago when taking gradual left turns at higher speed. Replicated the problem while out on a twisty drive about a month ago, finally posting about it now. I haven’t investigated it quite yet. Both rear wheel bearings are less than 2 years old and about 15,000km on them...

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,279 · (Edited)
So I’ve barely driven this car in the past couple months, which is a shame. I’ve put off a bunch of work on it (nothing major), since my weekends have been packed with camping and exploring Vancouver Island. I still haven’t received notice back about whether or not I’ve qualified for collector plates - I was told 6-8 weeks and it’s now been 7, so hopefully that comes soon. I’ve still been driving a ton though, just not in this car. I’ve already put over 5000km on the Subaru in 3 months, and had to do exactly zero maintenance other than topping up the oil a few thousand k ago. I have to say that Japanese car ownership is really nice so far… I’m glad that I bought it, my new commute is 55km/day and I’d feel bad putting all that mileage on the 850, plus not having A/C would be absolutely tragic right now!

Anyways, I just realized it’s been 3 years since completing the manual swap on this car, and I just found the photo from July 2, 2018 which won me an FCP Euro photo contest. I still wear the t shirt from that and use the Yeti mug they gave me all the time

Here’s to a time when BC got rain in July, instead of an absolutely insane heat wave

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,280 · (Edited)
Got the collector license plates! Helloooooo $25/month insurance. Had a limited selection of plate numbers to choose from, but thought ending in 425 was the closest I’d get to an association with the car, for the engine code ending in 4T5

Gave the car a good wash for its first day with the plates! I like how the white and black matches the car better than the regular blue lettering…

1261 - 1280 of 1290 Posts