SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1241 - 1260 of 1290 Posts

·
Registered
17,008 Posts
+2 on running a RN pan; I have one on my 850R but then you probably already knew that. It also gets you compatibility with the better pickup tube.

·
Registered
898 Posts
The P2 and P2R pans also work, but with the R pan, you'll need a longer dipstick, as the pan is slightly deeper (But with no apparent extra capacity).

Wife's car is a P2 RN motor and pan, and my car is an N motor and P2R pan.

·
Registered
17,008 Posts
if you used a P2R pan you could wire up to the oil quality sensor and make the low oil level light work which I think would be pretty slick

·
Registered
898 Posts
if you used a P2R pan you could wire up to the oil quality sensor and make the low oil level light work which I think would be pretty slick
I might have to look into that on mine.

Reactions: JaredR

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,245 ·
That wiper arm difference is a little crazy. I think I'll add that to the refresh list on mine. I don't have any actual issues right now, but it seems like it wouldn't hurt.
After driving in the rain now, it’s so absolutely worth it. I’d even consider going with the Pro Parts Sweden versions for both sides, it’d be less than $45 from IPD and it makes the car much nicer to drive when it’s wet out

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,248 · (Edited)
Hit 277k and was thanked by yet another stupid issue

My car was iced over yesterday morning, I tried to spray washer fluid to speed up thawing the windshield, and the passenger wiper just... didn’t move, while the driver’s side wiper did. My mistake not lifting it first, but still I’ll investigate by Monday at the latest, hoping that the splines aren’t stripped, as I think that would require a new wiper linkage assembly?

Here’s a video

·
Registered
17,008 Posts
you can clean the splines with a carbide scribe

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,250 · (Edited)
Guess I’m going with 1 wiper til I can buy another one... The nut was a bit loose on the passenger side, ugh. Time to buy some RainX

The lesson here is make sure you really tighten down those wiper arm nuts...

Passenger side

Driver side

·
Registered
352 Posts
It’s your car so if you’re not comfortable then wait for the new part, but If it were mine I’d just tighten the arm on more, the wiper arm is aluminum and is much softer than the linkage. It will bite in and put grooves in the arm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,252 ·
It’s your car so if you’re not comfortable then wait for the new part, but If it were mine I’d just tighten the arm on more, the wiper arm is aluminum and is much softer than the linkage. It will bite in and put grooves in the arm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good call, I’ll definitely try it!

·
Registered
17,008 Posts
A new wiper arm alone will likely not fix this. You need to get a carbide scribe or similar and clean out the splines on the wiper post. They are probably completely filled in with aluminum from the arm! The existing wiper arm will likely work fine once you get the spline cleaned out. Don't just tighten it down or install a new wiper arm without actually fixing the problem!!!

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,254 ·
A new wiper arm alone will likely not fix this. You need to get a carbide scribe or similar and clean out the splines on the wiper post. They are probably completely filled in with aluminum from the arm! The existing wiper arm will likely work fine once you get the spline cleaned out. Don't just tighten it down or install a new wiper arm without actually fixing the problem!!!
Yeah man, I’ve already cleaned up the wiper post, all good Going to reinstall the arm today and try it out

·
Registered
17,008 Posts
Yeah man, I’ve already cleaned up the wiper post, all good Going to reinstall the arm today and try it out
alright good haha I thought you just looked at stripped arm and thought that was the end of the problem

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,256 · (Edited)
Lots of little tasks done today. Hoping to get this thing ready for collector plates soon, I’m itching for a 4WD/AWD vehicle to daily and get out into the woods without being too worried about the condition of it. Need to repaint the rear spoiler, put a non-painted grille on, and give it a really good detailing for the application for the plates. Stock airbox has to be in as well, at least for the application photos...

Been thinking about refinishing my Volans as well. Still need to deal with the blown summer tire, not looking forward to the ~$500 it’ll cost for a pair of new ones if I can’t find a good used replacement.

Today’s list:
  • Fixed the passenger wiper arm
  • Cleaned out the trunk cowl drains (holy shiit that cowl drain was disgusting, 10” of the drain was somehow literally just full of mud)
  • Swapped in the LED reverse lights
  • Replaced the shifter bushings with skateboard bearings
  • Swapped in the single E code headlight glass that I’ve had sitting around for 3 years just to see how it does with the LED headlight bulbs
  • Cleaned up all the headlight glass with soap and water
  • Swapped in the stock airbox

One of the bushings was toast, the other still looked alright

Needed lots of washers to space it out and tighten up the fit

LEDzzzzzz

Had a quick 15 minute storm come through and hail and rain like crazy, filled up the cowl drain in a couple minutes so I knew I had to clear it out!

Stock airbox in, looks weeeeeird

Before and after a quick soap and water cleanup

Found some collateral damage from last summer while doing the headlights

This E code is pretty pitted, but I’m happy with how it cleaned up

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,257 · (Edited)
So the LED reverse lights are amazing... I’d call it a must-do for the $20 they cost. It’s like having daylight while backing up. The skateboard bearings tightened up the shifter a decent amount, less play while in gear, and shifting is a little tighter.

And here’s the beam pattern difference with the one E code

DOT glass

Reverse lights

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,258 · (Edited)
Did some camping and hit a couple milestones in the 850R yesterday - 50,000km under my ownership, 277,777km, and is no longer my daily!

Bought the best Japanese XC70 that I could find... a 2009 Subaru Outback. It’s super clean, 284k, 2 owner, dealer maintained since new. This thing matches my lifestyle a lot better at this point, and I’ll be a lot less worried taking it along logging roads to go camping and hiking and biking.

Don’t worry though, the 850 isn’t going anywhere! I’ll be putting in lots of work now to get it ready for a collector plates application... That way I can keep it around and insurance will be very inexpensive

Bonus puppy pic

·
Registered
194 Posts
I had a brief brain crash when I bough a Subaru Forester. It was a horrible car which was sold after a short period of ownership

·
Registered
6,215 Posts
You got a like for the puppy! The nice thing about Subaru’s is the endless amount of mods and aftermarket bits available to you. A second gen Legacy GT was tempting when I was first looking at wagons, but I stayed the course and got my XC. If a clean example, in the right color had come along, it might have been a different outcome.

@parsnip I would argue that later generations of Foresters are completely different from earlier examples in terms of handling and driver experience. I wouldn’t touch anything new.

1241 - 1260 of 1290 Posts