SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

681 - 700 of 1201 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
To me it sounds like the bearing on one of the pulleys might have gone bad.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Last time a timing belt was changed? And was pulleys changed with it?

Sounds like to me it’s the idler pulley for the serpentine belt. It makes a sound like that when you spin it by hand with it off. 2 12mm bolts pulls it out and you have to loosen the belt as well. That’s what I’d put my money on. And if it’s not there’s another pulley at the bottom of the power steering bracket as well

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #684 (Edited)
To me it sounds like the bearing on one of the pulleys might have gone bad.
Last time a timing belt was changed? And was pulleys changed with it?

Sounds like to me it’s the idler pulley for the serpentine belt. It makes a sound like that when you spin it by hand with it off. 2 12mm bolts pulls it out and you have to loosen the belt as well. That’s what I’d put my money on. And if it’s not there’s another pulley at the bottom of the power steering bracket as well
I was thinking you guys were on the right track... but then I turned the engine off and the noise continued with the key in position 2, so it can't be any of those rotating parts...

https://youtu.be/tHhCc33Q8SA

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #686 (Edited)

·
Registered
15,384 Posts
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Dis gonna be good. What's your plan for tuning it?

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #691 (Edited)

Dis gonna be good. What's your plan for tuning it?
Man, I'm so damn excited!!

I'm thinking I'll send my M4.4 ECU from the S70 to Aaron and get the stock manual 850R tune loaded up. In theory that would be a nice 10hp/38tq bump for ~$130. I may spring for the tune-it-yourself option with the manual R tune loaded as a base, but I'm not sure whether or not I want to get into tuning

·
Registered
15,384 Posts
Man, I'm so damn excited!!

I'm thinking I'll send my M4.4 ECU from the S70 to Aaron and get the stock manual 850R tune loaded up. In theory that would be a nice 10hp/38tq bump for ~$130. I may spring for the tune-it-yourself option with the manual R tune loaded as a base, but I'm not sure whether or not I want to get into tuning
Seems like a solid plan. I think I'd let the pros handle the tuning.

I heard a rumor at one point that the stock R manual tune was from a S70R but I have no idea if that's actually true or not so I'd verify with Aaron what "stock" means in this case. Even if it is set up for a stock manual 850R, it's still different from the automatic setup you have. Grab a manual throttle cable, too. Yes it's different. It uses the other cam on the throttle body.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #693
Seems like a solid plan. I think I'd let the pros handle the tuning.

I heard a rumor at one point that the stock R manual tune was from a S70R but I have no idea if that's actually true or not so I'd verify with Aaron what "stock" means in this case. Even if it is set up for a stock manual 850R, it's still different from the automatic setup you have. Grab a manual throttle cable, too. Yes it's different. It uses the other cam on the throttle body.
That seems pretty plausible, I'll check with Aaron once I get that going. I guess the main difference would be that the manual 850R used a 16T as opposed to the 15G, and I think the S70R did as well? That or an 18T. I think I'll eventually rebuild and swap in my 16T for this car some time down the line. I do have a manual throttle cable so that's been accounted for!

·
Registered
15,384 Posts
The automatic S70R used a 16T, but I think the manuals used a 18T. They also had white injectors. Not sure what, if anything, else is different.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #695 (Edited)
The automatic S70R used a 16T, but I think the manuals used a 18T. They also had white injectors. Not what, if anything, else is different.
Right right. I sold my white injectors last year which I'm now regretting! I'll see if the guy has even installed them lol, maybe he'd sell them back. Shouldn't be hard to find a set if not

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #697 (Edited)
Manual swap has been delayed until end of May or possibly later... Racecar build and testing commitments took priority

At least I finally got to hand wash this thing for the first time since December, and get the volans on. This is the first time this car has had the combination of stock height, Volans, and a repainted bumper:thumbup: I'm really liking how it looks at stock height for now. Reverse rake in this photo is because the whole manual swap was still in the trunk!

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #698 (Edited)
Well today I learned 850s and S70s use different trunk struts. Thought I could save some coin by keeping my S70's. Completely different lengths and joints

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #699 (Edited)
Manual swap is starting this Friday afternoon! I'll have a bit more than half the day on Saturday and Sunday then all day Monday to work on it.

In the meantime, I just ordered these. They are identical to Bridgestone RE003. Pretty damn stoked to have some fresh tires

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #700 (Edited)
Good progress in a few hours of work today, and a friend hooked me up with his mint 16T from a '98 S70 T5 with 60,000km to swap in. Zero shaft play whatsoever so I have a good feeling about this turbo

681 - 700 of 1201 Posts