SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

21 - 40 of 1201 Posts

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
Aw man, I knew there would be comments about the headlights! It's 100% down to personal preference, so whether I put the stock lights back on or not will be up to me :p
(For what it's worth, I'd love to get the stock ones back on too)

Other things I've noticed today (or forgot to mention in the first post):
- Turn signals are flashing double-time, I checked the fuses and they are okay, but this might be related to the headlights being so dim? Also checked all the bulbs with the hazards on, and left and right turn signals
- Might not be making full boost, based on the 100% accurate 'Turbo' gauge on the dash never swinging past a few mm into the boost area (see video). First quick pull was first gear 2/3 throttle, second pull was full throttle in second gear

https://youtu.be/p87G_e7TtnI

In other news, the car is in winter mode... And here's a better look at the headlights in darker lighting

·
Registered
15,364 Posts
Thought about some more of that red 3M vinyl for the black area of the bumper? Or maybe plastidip it red?

·
Registered
15,447 Posts
I don't like the lights, but to each his own.
Used to be that turn indicators flashing double time meant a bulb out. Gives the driver a little clue. Might be that it is the headlight confusing the circuitry?

·
Registered
319 Posts
That turbo gauge I've never considered a measurement of boost so much as an indicator of boost. Of course my butt usually tells me before my eye looks at the gauge.

·
Registered
15,364 Posts
That turbo gauge I've never considered a measurement of boost so much as an indicator of boost. Of course my butt usually tells me before my eye looks at the gauge.
That's eactly why I have an external boost gauge hanging around in my parts department. No way do I want to install it in anything, but it's nice to know I can tap into that vacuum line with a gauge that will give me actual information any time I need it.

·
Registered
15,364 Posts
Used to be that turn indicators flashing double time meant a bulb out. Gives the driver a little clue. Might be that it is the headlight confusing the circuitry?
Are those corner lights supposed to be on with the headlights? That might be an issue right there if they are if you've already checked all your bulbs.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Thought about some more of that red 3M vinyl for the black area of the bumper? Or maybe plastidip it red?

Are those corner lights supposed to be on with the headlights? That might be an issue right there if they are if you've already checked all your bulbs.
Maybe plastidip the whole thing red (except the upper black trim of course) if I can find a similar colour? I think that's definitely a good budget option!

Honestly I have no idea, I've only ever seen these lights on one other 850 before, and it was always parked. Maybe someone else who has the same lights could chime in

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Agreed 100%, it certainly isn't a measurement of boost. But if you see how slowly I gained speed in 2nd gear, you might see why I'm a bit concerned - it seems like it got a bit stuck at around 3300rpm.. There's also hardly any turbo noise, compared to my S70 which would always give a nice 'pshhhh' when letting off throttle, so I'm not sure if that's just how a 15G is

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I know it usually indicates a burnt out bulb, but it seems all of mine are working just fine... Could just be the headlights - another reason to swap back to stock:D

·
Registered
15,364 Posts
Maybe plastidip the whole thing red (except the upper black trim of course) if I can find a similar colour? I think that's definitely a good budget option!
There was a guy on here not long ago that did exactly that and it looked pretty alright.....certainly better than this tri-tone thing you have going here.

I know it usually indicates a burnt out bulb, but it seems all of mine are working just fine... Could just be the headlights - another reason to swap back to stock:D
E-codes are where it's at dude. But that's $$$ so stock is certainly an acceptable interim upgrade. E-codes aren't hard to come by on ebay.de but the problem is finding a set in good shape that isn't aftermarket. Aftermarket reflectors are probably not a huge loser, but you want Hella/OEM lenses. Once you do that and have a reasonable beam pattern, you can have a party with some bulb upgrades. Check out the lighting upgrade that ScottishBrick did on his T5a in stock e-code housings.

·
Registered
921 Posts
The headlights on your car are Spyder projectors, they are more modern than the old two-piece black projectors that IPD used to sell. They also come in silver; I have them on my car, and I quite like them. The beam pattern is good, and if you put good bulbs in them they are really nice and put out plenty of light. And, you can get a whole set for less than one OEM headlight. The black ones are OK, but not my favorite, I like the silver ones better. They use H1 bulbs in all four slots.

By default, when you plug them in, there are side no marker bulbs. Just headlight, high beam, and blinker. It is up to the user to wire the blinker as "always on but will blink if you hit the signal" and/or to wire the small wires for the LED rings around the hi/lo beams and the double LED that sits between the hi/lo beams.

So, your car's fast blinker problem could be the headlights weren't wired in right (I've had no problems with mine) or maybe you have mismatched bulbs somewhere.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
The headlights on your car are Spyder projectors, they are more modern than the old two-piece black projectors that IPD used to sell. They also come in silver; I have them on my car, and I quite like them. The beam pattern is good, and if you put good bulbs in them they are really nice and put out plenty of light. And, you can get a whole set for less than one OEM headlight. The black ones are OK, but not my favorite, I like the silver ones better. They use H1 bulbs in all four slots.

By default, when you plug them in, there are side no marker bulbs. Just headlight, high beam, and blinker. It is up to the user to wire the blinker as "always on but will blink if you hit the signal" and/or to wire the small wires for the LED rings around the hi/lo beams and the double LED that sits between the hi/lo beams.

So, your car's fast blinker problem could be the headlights weren't wired in right (I've had no problems with mine) or maybe you have mismatched bulbs somewhere.
Okay cool, thanks for the info! I found the Spyder headlights online yesterday but wasn't sure if they were the same. They still go for ~$250USD, dayum. Hmm, could be that they weren't wired properly, I'll send a text to the PO to see if they've always done the double-time blinker. I just noticed in my pics above that the driver's side double LED is not on, I wonder if that could be the problem. If I keep these lights, they will definitely need new low-beam bulbs because they're unacceptably dim right now...

JaredR's suggestion of E-codes is definitely a good idea (they just look so much better too), but again that's $$$ which I'd rather spend on mechanicals for the time being

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Congrats on purchase and welcome! It's funny you mentioned that pink anerobic head sealant, I feel like I have experience in this now haha.

And mayne, I'm digging that black lip/paint/whatever that is on the bottom of the front bumper. What is that?

And you mentioned IPD track spec sways. Since you have em on your s70, do you know how much of a difference they are compared to the normal spec IPD sways? I thought about these for my R.

Sent from my E6683 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
39 Posts
Agreed 100%, it certainly isn't a measurement of boost. But if you see how slowly I gained speed in 2nd gear, you might see why I'm a bit concerned - it seems like it got a bit stuck at around 3300rpm.. There's also hardly any turbo noise, compared to my S70 which would always give a nice 'pshhhh' when letting off throttle, so I'm not sure if that's just how a 15G is
You should definitely be developing more boost. Looks like something I dealt with as you still develop vacuum. My cbv was blown but after it was replaced I had to clear the ecu to get the car out ofsome kind of boost limp mode. You can check the cbv by blowing through the hose that connects it to the vacuum tree. If there is airflow the cbv diaphragm is busted.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Congrats on purchase and welcome! It's funny you mentioned that pink anerobic head sealant, I feel like I have experience in this now haha.

And mayne, I'm digging that black lip/paint/whatever that is on the bottom of the front bumper. What is that?

And you mentioned IPD track spec sways. Since you have em on your s70, do you know how much of a difference they are compared to the normal spec IPD sways? I thought about these for my R.

Sent from my E6683 using Tapatalk
Haha yeah I think I saw your post where you used black gasket sealer... whoops... This stuff isn't black (good sign I hope?), I'll post a picture of it soon enough. It doesn't appear to be leaking at all but I'll eventually get the engine bay all cleaned up so I can keep an eye on things.

Thanks, I'm kind of liking it too and as much as I'd like it to be all stock, it's not bad. Plus if I do autocross I won't be too worried about hitting cones with it! I'm not sure what the paint is, I can't really tell if it was brushed on or sprayed on, but I haven't looked at it tooo closely yet.

I have just the rear track spec on the S70, and the stock front bar. Regular IPD rear sway is 22mm, track spec is 25mm. BIG difference in stiffness. Changed the handling completely - much more neutral with less understeer, and you can actually 'feel' what the back end is doing, compared to stock which just feels numb in comparison. I can't really compare the regular and track spec bars too much since I haven't driven with both, but the bigger rear bar basically encourages more oversteer, especially with the stock front bar.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #36 (Edited)
You should definitely be developing more boost.
I figured, it seems to be lacking in the choo-choo department :(

Looks like something I dealt with as you still develop vacuum. My cbv was blown but after it was replaced I had to clear the ecu to get the car out ofsome kind of boost limp mode. You can check the cbv by blowing through the hose that connects it to the vacuum tree. If there is airflow the cbv diaphragm is busted.
Okay, I'll PM you about this.

Anybody have other ideas why I might not be boosting fully? I never ran into a problem like this on the S70, and usually more opinions are better!

·
Registered
319 Posts
Yeah, I've always considered the 15g a hint of turbo. Just when I start to smile it fades away.

Try hitting the econ/sport button on the center console. In sport you should be hitting 4000rpm.

·
Registered
319 Posts
You should definitely be developing more boost. Looks like something I dealt with as you still develop vacuum. My cbv was blown but after it was replaced I had to clear the ecu to get the car out ofsome kind of boost limp mode. You can check the cbv by blowing through the hose that connects it to the vacuum tree. If there is airflow the cbv diaphragm is busted.
I'll check mine too, but I won't get my hopes up. The 18T in my 99 on the other hand is a whole different story.:D

·
Registered
15,364 Posts
Yeah, I've always considered the 15g a hint of turbo. Just when I start to smile it fades away.

Try hitting the econ/sport button on the center console. In sport you should be hitting 4000rpm.
the 15G feels pretty good when you're coming from a NA.

21 - 40 of 1201 Posts