SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks. My ’07 XC has about 105,000 miles on it. I bought it new and it runs great with the exception of the suspension. It is quite rough on the roads, taking the bumps pretty hard. I currently still have the Nokian Haakapelita 7 studded tires on for a bit longer as I want to run them out and then trash them. It does need a new front right strut. The rear springs were done a few years ago. My question is, could the harsh bumpy ride be simply be the worn studded tires, or is the suspension just getting old?... or maybe both? If it is suspension, what would I have to replace to get back that new car ride? I’m debating whether to keep it for the long run or maybe sell it. I’ve taken meticulous care of it and I’m sure it can go for another 12 years easily. Thoughts?

·
Registered
17,304 Posts
Suspension overall is old. You should replace both the struts and springs up front.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I just got done with my suspension overhaul. Getting an alignment tomorrow. I did
  • Front Struts
  • Front Strut Mounts
  • Inner Tie Rods
  • Outer Tie Rods
  • Bad Swede Springs
  • Rear Shocks
  • Rear Spring Seats
  • Front Spring Seats
  • Front Control Arm Bushings
  • Lower Engine Mounts
  • Upper Engine Mounts
  • Front CV Shafts
  • Front Wheel Bearings
  • Ball Joints
  • IPD Sway Bars
  • Front & Rear Sway Bar End Links

I've got 150k on it and it needed the suspension rebuilt very badly. I'm guessing I will be able to run it for 100k miles before it needs done again. I don't drive very nice roads, so maybe less.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I have an 04 XC70 with 120k and my suspension is doing fine. Its a bit rough on bumpy roads but its always been that way. Rides great on the hiway.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I have an 04 XC70 with 120k and my suspension is doing fine. Its a bit rough on bumpy roads but its always been that way. Rides great on the hiway.
Everything rides great on smooth roads in a straight line. Suspension is one of those things that deteriorates over time.

@Volvostew, if you're going to hold onto the car for the long haul, put some money into it. I had a bunch of steering/suspension components done at 120K on my 07 and it rides great now. Plan on driving it to 250K or more.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Everything rides great on smooth roads in a straight line. Suspension is one of those things that deteriorates over time.

@Volvostew, if you're going to hold onto the car for the long haul, put some money into it. I had a bunch of steering/suspension components done at 120K on my 07 and it rides great now. Plan on driving it to 250K or more.
What does riding great mean on an XC?

·
Registered
46 Posts
How old are your tires and what preasure do you run?

Cant see that a complete suspention over haul is needed after such low milage. My S80 has 217000 miles and yes suspension is worn. Much is still original. Check the spring/strut seats up below the strut mount bearing. They are prone to fail.

Worn springs and struts should give the car a more spongy loose feel or? I might be wrong tho, if all colapses it might translate in to harsh ride.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts