SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What have you guys used? I was looking at some of the Coilover systems, but most arent available here. I noticed that Eurosport Tuning has some new stuff coming, well they emailed me of some new stuff. The system with the front Coilover isnt available anymore, so i cant get that. They do have a system that allows you to turn differnt Struts and shocks into coilovers for 6-700 dollars, but that seems like alot of money. They also mentioned a Boge performance system coming. Anyone know anything about this, I guess its a good quality system from Europe they are Importing. I know that Boge/Sache makes the stock system, so I imagine its of decent quality, but how good. I cant seem to find anything about this system, so I dont know if its any good. Anyone know of any other top quality systems I could look into. I do have access now to a scale, so I can take advantage of a coilover system. Do a balanced Coilover system make a big handeling difference over regular upgraded shocks and springs. What systems have you guys tried, and why do you like them. What is the ultimate system to look into?

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
ok. i have found only one company that builds coil-overs for 850. they are leda suspension located in the uk. they supply kalmar-union and probably the one frank derk has.<P>leda's fully height and strut adjustable coil-over is a 24-setting adjustable strut, with a special diameter spring. the spring can be linear or progressive (but more limited in spring rate) and can be customed to ur specs at no extra cost. the softest setting on the strut is closest to the bilstein hd struts. the rear is only shock adjustable (24-settings), not height adjustable, as the design prohibits that...without major mods that is.<P>as for ohlins 8-setting remote reservior shocks available from the volvo dealer, i asked naake (direct connection to ohlins) and they made a few inquiries at ohlins about the volvo's system ...and ohlins said they were not familiar with it. it is possible that twr and volvo collaborated to build their own set by buying parts from ohlins. the softest setting is supposedly even harder than the bilstein hd.<P>anyway, long post, the leda suspensions is available for $800 (full set) + about $100 dhl shipping. the volvo ohlins is excessive, costing $1600.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
wow, wait. 800 Dollars for a coilover system. thats springs and shocks all in one right. Its not one of those slip on system where you buy all the other stuff seperate. I think thats the way to go. I mean if you look at it this way. 400 for shocks and struts, 2-300 for springs. That puts you within 1-200 dollars of the coilover system. I even have a garage that has scale I can use, so I may do that. Isnt Kalmar union imported here by some company, makeing shipping a bit less.<P>

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
ok, so leda "supplies" kalmar union the coil-over systems. kalmar sells it for 822 british lbs. shipping is extra. that's ~US$1200 without shipping<P>now, leda sells it for 470 front and 167 rear. add 100 for shipping, and that's 737 british lbs. it's still cheaper than kalmar. that's ~US$1077.<P>as for the tuner, it's eurosporttuning.com. they used to have the fully adjustable for US$ 1600, discontinued. they switched to just the height adjustable for $1200. still expensive.<P>all the pictures from the three websites look identical. the system is a true coil-over, not some struts with sleeves u slip on... <A HREF="http://www.ledasuspension.co.uk/products.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.ledasuspension.co.uk/products.html</A> <BR>click on volvo850 t5 at the very bottom

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Do you happen to know how I can get it at the price they list on that page. Who would I ask. I have seen that before, yeah at Eurosport tuning. Why would they mark it up so much, thats odd? Now to make sure I understand it right, its an adjustable dampening rear shock with a coilover with adjustable dampening. I know this would be kinda cheesy, but still, do you think it would be worthwhile to go with the front coilover parts, but a Koni adjustable shock. Its probably not worth it, and I think the price isnt that different. Ah, and to make matter worse, IPD just sent me the 20% off summer sale on suspension plus I have a gift card for 50 dollars. If I can figure out how to do this system fast, I may just go with the standard IPD stuff. Those antisway bars are nice I understand. I know I could use them either way, but just saying.<P>

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
i have ipd's full suspension upgrade: bilsteins hd, sport springs, and sway bars. there's a lot of stress with the rear anti-sway bars, it's inherent in the delta link design. so the rears have been redesigned a couple of times, and won't be due out till late july. and i have not found a second aftermarket tuner to produce sway bars.<P>20% off and $50 coupon is hard to pass up on.<P>as for the leda<BR>front: fully height adjustable, 24 point damping adjustable.<BR>rear: static height (non adjustable), 24 point damping adjustable<P>koni is a well respected company; however, their shocks and struts cannot be adjusted without disassembly. ledas has those knobs that can be adjusted anytime.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Koni's has knobs, and are refered to as adjustable. The yellow ones, am I mistake on what the knobs are for. Do you happen to know about <A HREF="http://www.Volvotuning.com" TARGET=_blank>www.Volvotuning.com</A> . They claim that they can order pretty much anything available for Volvo's at the best prices. They have been right so far on everything but springs, they do have good prices. Im wondering if they could order the Leda system. That might be worthwhile. So you have mentioned the sway bars, I will assume that means you have these sway bars on your car. What is the noticable difference. Its hard to know exactly based on the description. Is that the one item that will make the car handle the best, of the mods Im doing at this moment. Those urathane bushings are not all that expensive, I would normally assume the labor is what gets you, so I think they are a good thing to do now also. Since they have to take my suspension all apart anyway, might as well do it now.<P>

·
Registered
353 Posts
Frank is making a koni-based (can be other brand, but koni first) coilover system for my car, he is going to then test it out see how it goes and then sell it as a kit, so if you're willing to wait another 2-3 months, it should be ready. Just send him an e-mail again and ask. [email protected]<P>We still have to decide on spring rates, but everything else is pretty set.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
george at volvo-tuning is very knowledgable as well. give him a call. (pics of my car is posted there too)<P>yes the konis are adjustable, however, if i remember correctly, requires the removal to adjust. kinda pain in the butt. all the springs and shocks/struts should be done at the same time, saves costs. the sways should be easy to install...at least, it was easy to remove the rear. this is probably one of the simplest upgrades for the best result.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah he mentioned that to me, but the price seemed high. I mean, if I can get the Coilover system at the prices mentioned from the company, something like 1000 dollars, then his system will be just as expensive. It seems like a lot of money for something that adapts shocks to work as the coilovers do, and I have never trusted that method. Thats like the groundcontrol systems that kids put on there Hondas and Nissans. Ground controls are a whole lot less money than the EST system is, and I have never heard of those style to be much good. <BR>

·
Registered
3 Posts
For struts and shocks, I would check out Shox.com. I think I got a good deal when I bought my Bilsteins and Eibach springs. <BR>Bilsteins $379, set of 4<BR>Eibach springs, $229 these drop your car more than the IPD springs.<BR>They also have Koni's for $419/set<BR>

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
yeah ... sounds about right. groundcontrol, i was gonna mention that name earlier but i couldn't remember. they have those sleeve type things. cheaper, but not the greatest.<P>so the fully adjustable settings allow u to set up ur car to ur liking. say if u wanna carry some old folks, u could go soft and raise the height a bit. or on track, lower a little and stiffen up a bit. i was looking for something with softer setting than bilstein hd (which i have now) at the softest...so i decided not to get leda...besides...i think i've spent enough $$ on the car already. =) let us know what u decide !! =)

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah, if I went with springs from them, I think I would do H&K, they lower it even more. Then I will be Slammed, hehe, just kidding, but I like them. I know of shox.com, but thanks anyway. They are who I would use for the Koni part, but I was just mentioning, I can get my springs for like 175 dollars or something like that right now through IPD. wait ok so 220, carry the 7, subtract 20% dollars, carry the 50, thats 176 subtract 50, and we get 126, ok so I can get the springs for 126 dollars right now. Cant really beat that price. Or I could go just with the Sway bars from them, considering they are the only ones, but I dont know if they are available yet, so they might not let me use that 20% thing. But that would be 320 minus, well it would be 206 dollars. I hope I did that math right, I would look really fullish. Im a college student, and I passed Calc by the skin of my teeth, but still, this is much easier than calc. Anyway 206 dollars for sway bars would be one hell of a deal. Thats why I mentioned IPD at all, normally I wouldnt consider them for suspension upgrades.<P>

1 - 14 of 14 Posts