SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive been hearing this metal ticking sound coming from my driver side wheel wheel. It is not speed dependent since the rattling/ticking speeds up when i press on the brakes. I have a 17 XC90 T8 with approx 20k miles. Brake pads still have some meat in them. Any idea what it could be?

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
I’ve got a similar issue. From speaking with my service advisor, there are TJs to trouble shoot it. It sounds like there are two likely causes, either be a ball joint or air suspension cartridge. If you hear it while turning then it’s likely the ball joint (IIRC). It doesn’t seem to be a critical failure of either component. When I mentioned it, I had about 16k and said it could wait until the 20k service to be addressed.

I’d describe mine as soft clicking/popping sound coming from the passenger front while accelerating from a stop or coming to stop. It’s easiest to hear in parking garages or at low speeds and consistent which will make it easy to trouble shoot. I’ll find out about mine next week when I go in for the 20k and they’ll check it out.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just a heads up to all that might have an issue like this. Apparently there’s a TJ for this and they ended up replacing the backing plate, or dust shield as some might call it, to thicker ones.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I had the same noise. There is a TJ on the left engine pad/mount. Mine was replaced and the noise went away. See this thread:

https://forums.swedespeed.com/showt...e-on-acceleration-deceleration#/topics/581369

Try to convince your service advisor to replace the left engine pad/mount as opposed to doing the fix described in the TJ, as the fix has been reported not to last. The engine pad/mount is a $115 part, but mine was covered under warranty.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
I had the same noise. There is a TJ on the left engine pad/mount. Mine was replaced and the noise went away. See this thread:

https://forums.swedespeed.com/showt...e-on-acceleration-deceleration#/topics/581369

Try to convince your service advisor to replace the left engine pad/mount as opposed to doing the fix described in the TJ, as the fix has been reported not to last. The engine pad/mount is a $115 part, but mine was covered under warranty.
Yep, mine is in for it’s 20k and this was one of the items I also want them to address. They tried the left engine pad/mount on mine and it still makes the sounds. They’re onto figuring out what the next troubleshooting step will be - either ball joint (also a TJ). They hadn’t mentioned shield (is that the heat shield?). The suspension was ruled out since that’s a different kind of sound entirely - more of a clunking sound and that’s not what mine’s making. It’s a ticking/popping like sound.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Yep, mine is in for it’s 20k and this was one of the items I also want them to address. They tried the left engine pad/mount on mine and it still makes the sounds. They’re onto figuring out what the next troubleshooting step will be - either ball joint (also a TJ). They hadn’t mentioned shield (is that the heat shield?). The suspension was ruled out since that’s a different kind of sound entirely - more of a clunking sound and that’s not what mine’s making. It’s a ticking/popping like sound.
Did they replace your left engine mount or just lubricate the screw as described in TJ33442? You shouldn’t rule this out as the source of the noise unless they replaced the mount.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Did they replace your left engine mount or just lubricate the screw as described in TJ33442? You shouldn’t rule this out as the source of the noise unless they replaced the mount.
They replaced the mount - I was skeptical but I trust their judgment. I assume they went with the mount as it’s the cheapest of the options to try first but I made sure I let them know it made the sound even when the ICE is not running and under ERAD propulsion which made me doubt there would be any torque on the mount causing it to flex or make a sound. I had been thinking it was more the suspension but when they looked into it they discounted that one since the sound isn’t the same as described in that TJ. I’ll let them sort it out - they’re quite good at it :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts