SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been out of the loop for a bit with my 2002 V70T5 but I needs that suspension work I was supposed to do a long while ago.

Bilstiens S ?
Bilstien HD?
Bilstien Touring?
KONI Yellows?
KYB?
To be matched with some H&R lowering springs....or equivalent

Also who has better kit? IPD or FCP on control arm kits.

I'm at 190k and think it's stock suspension. Care is a mess to drive. I recently bought another wagon, another Audi Avant for my wife but seems I keep driving it.

Any way I know it's been Covered a million x10 times but looking for honest opinions to what is a good daily fun driver setup.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I don't know much about the aftermarket Volvo suspension options, but my BMW M car customers love the Koni Yellers for their lowering springs.

I'm running the IPD HD front LCAs on my XC70 and they're doing good so far - about 1 1/2 years later. I have pretty similar mileage to you at 199k miles and the control arms were a huge improvement. I also replaced the engine mounts (all of them), all the struts, and shock/strut mounts.

·
Registered
161 Posts
The IPD control arms have upgraded bushings over OEM. More "virgin" rubber, which doesn't crack or rip as quickly. They have a video explaining it on their youtube page. Concerning lowering, I've never done it, but everybody says Bilstein S or Koni. Some people report having success with the others you mentioned, but they're not designed for lowered suspension, so they may wear out faster. If you have the money, stay away from anything other than Bilstein S or Koni Yellow.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
The big 3 are Bilstein, Koni Yellow adjustables (front only - I went with KYB monotubes out back) and Koni FSDs. You also have to know if you have Nivomats out back too.
Make sure to put some real thought into your LCAs, as going with "whatever I found" often means unhappiness.

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
Lemforder/Volvo LCAs... Lemforder is makes the Volvo ones. Lemforder balljoints. Or take your current LCAs and go poly pushing in the front and XC70 bushing in the back. Whatever you do don't put anything made by Monroe in. Worst part of every R. I'm partial to Bilstein HD.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
If Koni now has the yellow sports for a P2s use those. Combined with H&Rs that should make a fine combo. (In the earlier P2 days only Koni Cut a Struts were available), a PIA to install to say the least!
As for the rears I don't know what's available but the best match to a Koni Sport front would probably be a Bilstein Touring unless you have the fronts set to super hard, then gp with the Sports but that is pretty damn stiff for daily use! (IMO)!:eek:

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Bilstein Sports are STIFF! Unless you live on a track with perfect pavement, I'd go with Koni Yellows. Otherwise for stock springs, Sachs is OE and Bilstein Touring is slightly stiffer, supposedly

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was thinking the Bilstien Touring (black ones) with the lowering springs.
The whole cut a strut thing had me weirded out. I dont get said procedure.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Konis are MUCH nicer esp. with H&R springs, plus they're adjustable

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
I was thinking the Bilstien Touring (black ones) with the lowering springs.
The whole cut a strut thing had me weirded out. I dont get said procedure.
Basically, cut-a-strut means that Koni never completed the process of making strut casings for the shock absorbers. They fit inside the existing casings jsut right. What has to be done is the top of the casing gets chopped off, and the strut fits inside and gets crimped in. Works fine. I suggest hanging around the service bays of your local Volvo dealer and getting 2 Sachs castoffs. Use those to mount the Koni struts, and if it happens that you screw one up, well, you still have one that comes off your car. I am happy with my Koni Sports up front. When combined with IPD swaybars, you can add 20 mph at least to any yellow speed warning signs on curves.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I have Bilstein sports and H+R springs and as mentioned they are stiff. Quite stiff. Unfortunately (maybe someone can prove me wrong here), I don't think there are Touring shocks/struts available for P2 V70s. Only thing listed on the Bilstein website is a "B4 OE Replacement". I had 2 previous Volvos on Bilstein Tourings with H+R's and would absolutely recommend that setup. Take my car for a ride sometime...

·
Registered
171 Posts
Thanks for clearing that up!

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have Bilstein sports and H+R springs and as mentioned they are stiff. Quite stiff. Unfortunately (maybe someone can prove me wrong here), I don't think there are Touring shocks/struts available for P2 V70s. Only thing listed on the Bilstein website is a "B4 OE Replacement". I had 2 previous Volvos on Bilstein Tourings with H+R's and would absolutely recommend that setup. Take my car for a ride sometime...
So the Bilstien Touring will work with lowering springs?

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The FCP suspension kit. Should I spend the coin and get all the Hats etc?

·
Registered
171 Posts
So the Bilstien Touring will work with lowering springs?
They worked great on my '99 C70 and '96 850R with H+R's. Loved that setup...

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
The FCP suspension kit. Should I spend the coin and get all the Hats etc?
If you have 190K all original, you probably should seriously consider every last piece of rubber and plastic; seats, mounts, joints, etc.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts