SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about replacing some suspension components on my 2004 V70 2.4. It currently has 120k km (75k miles) and doesn't feel as "planted" as I'd like on the highway, even with the sway bars and poly inserts. I figured I'd refresh everything and hopefully address the loose feeling when turning or changing lanes at highway speeds. The LCA bushings were already replaced at 105k km (65k miles). I've done suspension work on other cars so I'll be tackling this myself.

Here is what I'm considering so far:

Questions:
  1. Thoughts on Sachs/Boge versus Bilstein TC for shocks and struts? I like that the TCs are slightly stiffer, but I've read that they're outsourced by Bilstein so I'm unsure about quality and durability compared to the OE Sachs/Boge.
  2. Is it necessary to replace the front rubber "strut mount cap/washer" as well?
  3. Should I bother replacing the rear shock mounts or is it not worth the extra effort if they rarely fail?
  4. What other parts should I consider replacing?

I'd appreciate any input or advice! Thanks

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
I don't see rear shocks there, they go south pretty quickly
IPD sway bars will help the handling big time with that "feel" you don't like

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
See below

I'm thinking about replacing some suspension components on my 2004 V70 2.4. It currently has 120k km (75k miles) and doesn't feel as "planted" as I'd like on the highway, even with the sway bars and poly inserts. I figured I'd refresh everything and hopefully address the loose feeling when turning or changing lanes at highway speeds. The LCA bushings were already replaced at 105k km (65k miles). I've done suspension work on other cars so I'll be tackling this myself.

Here is what I'm considering so far:

Questions:
  1. Thoughts on Sachs/Boge versus Bilstein TC for shocks and struts? I like that the TCs are slightly stiffer, but I've read that they're outsourced by Bilstein so I'm unsure about quality and durability compared to the OE Sachs/Boge.
  2. Is it necessary to replace the front rubber "strut mount cap/washer" as well?
  3. Should I bother replacing the rear shock mounts or is it not worth the extra effort if they rarely fail?
  4. What other parts should I consider replacing?

I'd appreciate any input or advice! Thanks

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Both were mentioned as YS pointed out.

What are your thoughts on the rear shock mounts?

Edit: found this post stating that the rear shock mount can be replaced without removing the spring. If this is true then I might as well replace them too.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts