SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Folks,

Still a bit of a volvo noob, so I need some advice. I've got a 2002 V70 T5m. I bought it with 111K on it and have put 16K on it since (7months) . Outside of regular maintenance the old girl has been very good to me. The suspension feels like it is pretty tired, so I'm trying to put together a complete list of everything I should get to do this job once, the right way. I'll be doing this under the close supervision of a friend who owns a MB shop - knows his stuff.

I'll be doing shocks, struts, IPD sways - at this point I need/want to know about all of the bushings, tie rod ends, sub frame mounts, etc. . . . I should be doing to get this car back to a great ride.

Thanks in advance.

J-

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Replace everything. Don't cheap out on struts like so many do.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
At 65k my tie rod ends, ball joints, control arms, and spring seats were all shot from the awful Northern VA roads I drive on. I would recommend checking/replacing everything with OEM volvo suspension parts.

·
Registered
955 Posts
You have a pretty good idea of what you need/want to do.

Sway bar end links Front/Rear
Sway Bars IPD
Strut Mounts Front/Rear
LCA's

I replaced me Rear struts with OE Volvo Sport Sachs struts with stock springs and cant complain. Im also in the same boat as you (literally) handling wise and am saving up to do a major overhaul with the suspension.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Make sure those rear shocks are not Nivomats.

·
Registered
59 Posts
If your going to replace consumable parts I would go with the XC90 upper strut mounts, much beefier then then V70 ones and the same price (go figure).

Also, if your going to go with the IPD sway bar links you might want to look into TRW links, they are just as thick as the IPD and come with a life time warranty (at least mine do where I get em), so once they're shot (about 12 months on GTA roads) you take em back and get a new set for free ... and seeing as how V70s go through end links like socks...

As for struts and springs, I've only had the stock T5 setup and I have had the Koni FSD/Eibach kit for about 2-3 years now, which I really like the feel of, my only complaint is it's not adjustable (well duh, it's not a coil-over kit), KWs next?!).

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have been assembling my list. I will take pics and do write up when I'm done. Gooserex, thanks for the heads up on TRW, looking for scantech (chinese craptastic) on a few pieces.

J-

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
I've heard subframe bushings are wise to swap, I've seen more than a few stories on this site where a guy spends a whole bunch of time and labor on suspension and it doesn't feel much better when he's done, until he replaces those. If you're already taking the control arms off, it's not much harder to drop it. You have to have an engine hanger to hold the engine and tranny up, your friend should have one and if not, Harbor Freight does for around $60.

·
Registered
63,541 Posts
NEVER buy Scancrap, EVER
There are other aftermarket alternatives on most parts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
JRL - yes, understood. Where is the best place for the sub-frame bushings?

J-

1 - 11 of 11 Posts