SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2005 S40 and lately it has developed a noise. Whenever I hit bumps it makes a vibrating rattle noise especially when turning right. The sound is coming from the passenger front.

So I crawled under the car today and tried to shake everything around to hopefully find which bushing was out and everything seemed fairly tight. So at this point I am hoping someone has some insight to a particular part that should be checked further.

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
Check the upper motor mount. Sticky

Sway bar link (play)
Large bushing at rear of control arm (cracks)

On an 05' they will all be bad unless you've replaced them already. :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply I have changed the control arms recently so they are good. I figured it was the sway bar link, but it really didn't have play to it. I will check the upper motor mount.

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
Make sure you don't just jack up the right side & then check the link. The sway bar will load the link & it will seem OK. Check with car on the ground or both fronts in the air so the bar isn't loaded. Give it a good rap upward/downward with a gloved hand or better yet a large rubber mallet. Solid thump = OK. Metallic clank = bad.

·
Registered
837 Posts
My car is doing the exact same i think. over bumps it rattles passanger front, or at least passenger. it sounds like a bolt rattling almost. IDK what it is and iver checked everything. I figure ill have to wait til it breaks and fix it. tires arent wearing funny and links all seem solid so I dont think it will kill me. If you find out what it is can you please post up, so I can check it on mine. thanks

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
You guys don't have elevate rear sway bar by any chance?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same problem. I have now changed front suspension, both control arms, drop links and all new discs and pads. A friend mechanic of mine said the anti roll bar bushes are fine. I passed my car test only the other day so the testing mechanics didn't see anything faulty either. It only happens when I hit any sort of a bump. It was on both sides but since I changed the control arms on thurs evening it's now just the driver side. It's driving me nuts. Also had the cars wheels aligned so it's not an issue. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. 06 s40 1.6d

·
Registered
114 Posts
I had this issue, but passenger side, changed the upper engine mount and now only left with a slight clunk on the drivers. As suggested prior; has the upper mount ever been looked @? I'll try to find the pic from my original 05.

Edit: won't come off my phone correctly. Suggestion is simply put the jack and 2x4 under the engine to hold the weight; take the limiter off and see what the mount looks like(check the sticky above)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts