SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, Quick Q about the tie/tyre rods ???

The inner rods are worn and the boots are shredded. There is a little bit of play in these. Is it dangerous if I don't replace these worn components soon? Will these break? It's something that I want to fix eventually but It's not a cheap fix when you pile on the alignment and all...

·
Premium Member
19,953 Posts
Hello, Quick Q about the tie/tyre rods ???

The inner rods are worn and the boots are shredded. There is a little bit of play in these. Is it dangerous if I don't replace these worn components soon? Will these break? It's something that I want to fix eventually but It's not a cheap fix when you pile on the alignment and all...
No problem - just run cheapo front tires.

George Dill

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Shredded boots will let crap into the steering rack and it will eventually fail, and worn inner tie rod ends could drop and leave you with no steering, and the outer ends could do the same if they're suspect. These are safety issues, so you should fix them fairly soon.

BTW, year, model, and any mods in your posts are a big help in problem diagnosis.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's an '85 240 DL. I have cheapo tires on there. I plan on eventually replacing the rods and rack & pinion (within the next 3 months) do you think I'll be ok till then? I live in southern CA (it's dry here mostly).

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Weather isn't an issue here, nor old tires. You may get away with leaving the fix for a while, but if you start to get wheel shimmy or steering wandering when driving, the old girl is giving you the message "fix me ... now!"

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Weather isn't an issue here, nor old tires. You may get away with leaving the fix for a while, but if you start to get wheel shimmy or steering wandering when driving, the old girl is giving you the message "fix me ... now!"
I get shimmy if I go over 70 so I cruise at 55-60 and she's solid as a stone. Thanks for the words of advice, I will probably be fixing her before I drive her to LA in October just to be safe.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
If you're gonna wait a bit, stay clear of potholes, curbs, etc..

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I do in all of my cars anyway :D

By the way, what is the bolt pattern on these cars? I was hoping it was 5x108...

·
Registered
3,126 Posts

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts