SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
2001 T5 @ 127k miles. All suspension is original with the exception of the front passenger strut. This was blown out when the car was relatively new and it was replaced ~ 40k miles.

So anyway, when I'm driving around at 25-40mph and the suspension is working over the variances in the pavement I get this squeaky/creaky/scratchy/scrapy sound from driver side left. I don't know what it is but it also rattles/clatters really bad when I'm going over potholes or bumps at the same speeds. I'm thinking the strut might be going? What other components might make the suspension rattle when cruising at low speeds. Everything is good on the freeway, especially 70+ :confused:
I'm a suspension idiot so IDK what control arms or sway end links are/do. I don't know what bushings are where. I just know there's bad noises!!!

This brings me to my next query - if it IS a strut then I'm probably going to replace all struts and get B&G lowering springs. I'm looking on FCP who appears to have the best prices and I see these following struts:

Meyle

OEM

Bilstein

And then there's these. THEY'RE GREEN!

MCQ

The Meyle price tag is the most appealing and affordable for me, what would be the difference in the Meyle vs. Oem or Bilstein? Anybody use both or either? Why are Meyle so cheap? Are they bad?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have same problem on a 2002 110k. Changed the struts and it's not fixed ...
I think it's related to control arms

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Check your endlinks, I just replaced mine and they got rid of a few of the clunks and creeks. Now I just have one clunk on the passenger side when I hit a bump that I need to find.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I'd start with end links and strut mounts those seem to go the most.

To check the strut mounts without taking everything apart you can remove the boot over the center nut, then take a wrench and try to turn it. If you can turn the nut then it is a broken.

If you need to replace the struts, and plan on lowering the car I'd go with the bilstein they seem to have pretty solid reviews on here. If you're going to stay the stock ride height and I'd go with OEMs and maintain the ride comfort. The OEMs are also made by Sachs so you can usually get the same shock for less by buying the Sachs (I can't go through your links because I am on a cell phone)

·
Registered
281 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts