SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The R has developed a clunking sound when going over rough roads. It has developed after some spirited driving on some not so perfect roads. I notice the noise more in Comfort mode than Advance about 80% less noise in advanced. Before going to the dealer any suggestions ?

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
spring seats and strut mounts if I had to take a guess.

Here's a test to see if you have bad spring seats, open the hood, go to your strut towers, try and twist the upper piece of the rubber top part of the strut assembly (you'll know what I'm talking about), if you can twist it and it doesn't spring back into it's original place then you have bad spring seats.

·
Registered
2,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Yeah, stop spirited driving on rough roads.

The peanut gallery has chimed in .

Thanks for confirming my exact thought , A dealer visit it is due. I love the fast helpful information this forum provides.

Here's a test to see if you have bad spring seats, open the hood, go to your strut towers, try and twist the upper piece of the rubber top part of the strut assembly (you'll know what I'm talking about), if you can twist it and it doesn't spring back into it's original place then you have bad spring seats.
My mechanic did tighten the strut assembly. I just want to make it quite again. I will look into replacing the spring seats. He did not really see anything wrong otherwise.

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
The peanut gallery has chimed in .
Yeah, well I'm allergic to nuts.

By any chance, where you rallying the car?

Ok time to get serious.

What you have to realize with the suspension is there really isn't much too them. YOu have your struts, spring seats, strut mounts, LCAs, tie rods, ball joints, endlinks and bing bang bo that be all that be rumblin'. HOWEVER! I know in the lower 2000's the S80 ran into some issues with the subframe bushings causing relatively a lot of noise/clunk so I the suspension is truly fine than go that route. I don't know if that assumption is even valid for other year makes and models.

I don't advise going to the Stealership as they will charge you an arm and a leg for a $50 part install.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
I just dealt with a clunk that behaved similarly. I tested it by disabling 4C (pulling the accelerometer in the trunk) and the noise went away. That's how I knew it was the struts making the noise. A trip to the indy confirmed and they were replaced and the noise is now gone. Rear struts are notorious for clunking.

·
Registered
11,628 Posts
It's probably your spring seats. Pretty common for them to fail. iPd makes a set of HD units that work pretty well (it's what I'm running).

·
Registered
2,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Turns out to be the strut mounts. So when the fall Monroe sales is on I will replace the struts and deal with it then.

·
Registered
11,628 Posts
Wait, strut mounts can also be called spring seats or the strut bearing plate, neither of which warrants new struts.

·
Registered
2,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not that I NEED new struts yet. Its just the time to replace the other parts. So might as well do them all at the same time, with less R&R duplication. Unless I just cant take the noise anymore, which knowing me will be the case

·
Registered
195 Posts

Twist it by hand force or some tool?
Is there a way to test the rear? How do I get to the strut towers in the back?

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Twist it by hand force or some tool?
Is there a way to test the rear? How do I get to the strut towers in the back?
Using a 21mm or equiv wrench, turn clockwise(righty tighty). You will feel them give almost 90deg. then spring back (hold onto wrench!). If they are toast they won't come push back or will give out and send your face into the edge of your hood as you fall.lol.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
No way to mechanically test the rears that I know of. Just aurally/visually.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Are you guys aware of any nice writeup about DIY removing the struts, springs, seats and mounts?

I also have some annoying sound in what I think is my rear suspension. Cant find anything else thats faulty...

Annoying sound plus huge side hop when hiting roughness in the road, makes me think some parts in the suspension is toast.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts