SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,<br>Any advice would be helpfull. My car 850R '96 has developed a slight "crashing" or dull sound as i go over bumps or imperfections in pavement. I don't think the front struts are bad, the car only has 44k on the clock, but didn't know. I heard that i should check the upper strut mounts for wear. I pulled the front left wheel off last night and couldn't see any obvious problems. The noise seems to originate from the front left area of the car and is definitely suspension related. Any ideas as to weak links in 850R suspension (what is prone to go first?). I know it has a stiff ride, but i can tell something is either loose or shot. <br>I wonder if the front struts would need to be replaced this early in the car's life.<p>Thanks,<p>Patrick

·
Registered
625 Posts
Re: SUSPENSION NOISE ON 850R SEDAN (PATRICK)

I have a creaking "eek eek eek" sound from my left front too. When I push down on the car I could hear it.<p>Dunno what it is, but I'll make it an excuse for getting new bilstein shocks.<p>Its probably the shock mounts, in my case it defintely sounded like its from the top of the suspension (with the hood up you could hear quite clearly)

·
Registered
353 Posts
Re: SUSPENSION NOISE ON 850R SEDAN (xtremepsionic)

i'd bet money it's your strut/shock mount bushings made of rubber and usually fail by 50K miles.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Re: SUSPENSION NOISE ON 850R SEDAN (fhdt5r)

hehe<br>fail by 50k miles<p>and thats what my odometer reads.. geez<br>they just failed recently, it was only a month ago that I started hearing stuff like that, both the front and the rear

·
Registered
12 Posts
Re: SUSPENSION NOISE ON 850R SEDAN (PATRICK)

this is actually malmo 99 (96 850) on girlfriends computer but anyway- I had the exact same problem and it ended up being the strut mount bushings. It was $330 to fix. Parts are very low but I think labor is a big pain. I looked at other sites to see if I could fix it myself but realized I don't have that much time and another person. good luck

·
Registered
64 Posts
Re: SUSPENSION NOISE ON 850R SEDAN (emily240DL)

On a side note: strut mounts and spring seats are good to replace while you're already replacing a shock/strut.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts