SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
Lately I have been having 3 noises that started this winter on my daily driven SR.

1. Clunk from front end over bumps/ potholes (Spring seats/mounts are suspected) looking for confirmation on this.
2. Squeak from front end over bumps (Spring seats suspected)
3. Rattle from under the car, I can only hear it at speeds under 40 MPH when the passenger side window(s) are down. Sounds metallic in nature, rapid, lasts for around .5-1 second when a bump or pothole is hit. I think its from the rear.

I have just recently replaced the front ballpoints, the end links all around on the car. the struts have around 50K miles on them but do not feel terrible and I can't see a leak thus far on any of them. Also the CV boots are still very good and I have new pads, rotors, and retainer springs all around. My handbrake is shot, I need to replace the pads and springs for it, could that be causing the rattle?

First post on here, normally I just watch from the sidelines, I have had my R from 104,000 miles and daily drive it, I now have 178,640 miles on her and going strong. I plan to run this baby till the frame turns to dust!!!!!
Thanks for the help in advanced!!!!!

P.S. I went through a lot of posts and didn't find any answers to #3, however just want to make sure on #1&2 also could bad bushings in the control arms be causing any of this?

·
Registered
12 Posts
had similar front end clunks on my 2006 R recently. Replaced sway bar links front and rear. That wasn't it. Replaced inner and outer tie rod ends. That seems to have fixed it.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I got the rattle from failing sway bar bushings. Thought it was bad end-links, then noticed the sway bar had play when I had the end-links off. Also, even though they were nearly new, one of my end-links was bad. Less learned. Just because something is new doesn't mean it won't fail.

GLM

·
Registered
529 Posts
The rattle from the rear could be the parking brakes coming loose. They bang on the backing plate on bumps. I had what sounds like a similar noise, thats what it was. Glad to have it fixed was so annoying..

Squeak could be the spring seats or one of the tie rods inner or outer. Is it a rubbery squeak or does it have a metallic tinge to it?

If its over bumps tie rods, if its more turning seats. But it can go both ways. Lol. You just have to get in there and feel around.

At this point, with the R its best not to mess around. Do it all. If it hasn't been done since 120k its in need.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Update:
The rear rattle has been confirmed as the parking brake pads rattling. I drove a bad road with all of the windows down twice. Once with the parking brake off and once with it halfway engaged. The rattle went away. Could anybody link a video on how to adjust the handbrake for the 2007 SR? I can't find a good one where it's the same as mine. They appear to be different for the 2004-2005 models.

The rest is unconfirmed.

Then I'm going to pull the control arms and press in new bushings and steering stops. On that note I want to strip and repaint the control arms, would a wire wheel, aircraft remover and then a self etching primer followed by metal paint and a clear coat work? I'm looking at rattle can.

Sidenote

Random I know but the tool is on sale and I have used them before, makes life so easy and greatly lowers the risk. And it's actually safe unlike most sub $200 stands. Also if you use honey it will find you a code to save another $10.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The rattle from the rear could be the parking brakes coming loose. They bang on the backing plate on bumps. I had what sounds like a similar noise, thats what it was. Glad to have it fixed was so annoying..

Squeak could be the spring seats or one of the tie rods inner or outer. Is it a rubbery squeak or does it have a metallic tinge to it?

If its over bumps tie rods, if its more turning seats. But it can go both ways. Lol. You just have to get in there and feel around.

At this point, with the R its best not to mess around. Do it all. If it hasn't been done since 120k its in need.
It makes the squeak over bumps but only when below 20 degrees fahrenheit, it is a rubbery squeak. Idk I probably should just redo the tie rods when I redo the control arms and just get the alignment over with!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts