SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to replace the SUM in my 2004 V70R, but I am having a difficult time finding one with the correct part number. I thought I had done all the required research and bought a used SUM with part number 30739073. I did this before actually laying eyes on the old one. Well... anyone ever hear of Murphy? The part number on the one in my car is actually 30669893, and the one I bought doesn't work. And, now it appears that the 30669893 part is pretty rare on the used market

The original part is definitely toast with lots of oxidation/corrosion throughout the unit. My question is, what are my options here? I am getting this car ready for sale, just spent a ton on it doing an OEM down pipe and a bunch of other work, and I don't want to spend $600 for a new SUM. As near as I can tell the part number on the module needs to match, as in the two part numbers I find for the SUM for the 2004 V70R (0030669893, and 30739073) are not interchangeable and cannot be reprogrammed to work if the vehicle did not have that part number installed from the factory.

If I cannot find a used SUM with the correct part number, it seems like I am stuck with one of three ugly options: 1) cough up $600 for a new part, 2) sell the car with non-operational 4C, 3) swap out the shocks/struts as per one of the threads here in swedepeed and lose the 4C altogether. I don't like any of these options as I have already replaced the front 4C units with new OEM items, and selling with inop 4C seems like a great way to take a big hit on the sale price.

Any constructive suggestions appreciated!

K

·
3,958 Posts

·
Registered
649 Posts
Seems like all the options have you spending or losing more money. Short of finding a used one, I'd pick the option that is A)the smallest loss, and B)the shortest route to a sale.

GLWS!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
The Driver - Thanks for the reference. I also just saw that the 30768080 part number supercedes the original 30669893 for the '04 V70R. Maybe this is a part number swap that will work. Not many of the 30768080 out there either.

As far as other part numbers not working, I have not seen any posts where an actual person who has done the swap and had it work, and has definitively stated that it does and how they managed any reprogramming if necessary. The 30739073 part, when I plug it into volvopartscounter (thanks for the link!) comes up as incompatible for the '04. Not sure how I ended up going down that path originally.

All of the above notwithstanding, the part # 30739073 that I have in hand definitely does not work in my '04 V70R in which the original part number is 30669893. My Volvo-only indy has a VIDA, is knowledgable about the R, tried the swap for me while he was doing a couple of other things, and no bueno. I bought it from wolfeautoparts.com (also on eBay), and they tested it in the original vehicle. It has the same connectors, looks the same, plugs in the same, etc. and just appears to be incompatible with my '04.

By the way, I wholeheartedly recommend wolfeautoparts.com. I have called them a few times and they are super helpful.

K

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Caboose - Yep... no good choices. I chose to spend to sell when I did the down pipe, O2 sensors, ABS module, etc. around the beginning of this year. One way or another I'll be posting it for sale soon and will post the CL link to the Classifieds here.

Thanks,

K

·
Registered
366 Posts
No, if you don't have a Vida/Dice, you can't properly test a SUM unit. Anything else isn't going to be as specific. While i didn't check your part # interchange stuff, if you have the correct part number and it came from a running vehicle, then it should work.

Remember, just because wolfeautoparts might have plugged it in and it wasn't showing any lights on the dash, that can virtually mean nothing. I have a dead SUM that i cleaned up. I can plug it in, clear all of my codes, run it for a few minutes and everything will look perfectly normal. No warning lights on the dash, 4c buttons seemingly work, etc. But, after running the car for a few miles, all of the SUM codes start cropping back up and eventually the dash light illuminates.

Keep searching. SUM modules aren't that hard to come by. R part out cars almost always never sell them. These things don't go bad often. They're just a board buried under the carpet.... However, when sufficient water gets into the driver's footwell, whether it be from rain or A/C, it can find its way into the SUM.

Did you open the Ebay SUM to inspect it?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts