SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=JHycLw8oKHQ

I thought it was maybe the spring seat, since those are known to go bad on these cars, but when I opened the hood, there is almost no give at all in the strut mount and it seems to be coming from closer to the wheel. That made me think maybe sway bar bushing, but my research on that has told me that they rarely fail on these cars, and that they're almost impossible to replace without just doing the whole sway bar.

I'm pretty decent when it comes to engine stuff, but for the most part, suspensions are foreign to me, just for the fact that I've never really had issues with them and never tried to work on them.

Any input is helpful. It doesn't seem to do it all the time, it does it more when it's hot and humid out, less in the morning, more in the afternoon, after the car is warmed up, etc.

Pardon my shoddy iPhone camera work. I'm new to the iPhone and haven't yet mastered holding it while filming myself doing something...

·
Registered
448 Posts
that sounds like rubber creak, sprint seat or bearing plate are my initial guesses. You can always test the sway bushings by disconnecting the end links

·
Registered
31 Posts
Volvo makes some rubber pads/gaskets that fit at top and bottom of front springs. There's a TSB about responding to customer complaints about suspension resonance at certain frequencies. Local dealer never heard of it. I gave them a copy of the TSBs from AllData.com. The difference is noticeable. Unfortunately, TSB specifies same labor as strut replacement.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts