SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love this forum!!

I know this has been discussed, but it would take me too long to refind the threads: so here's my question of the day:

My 1999 V70XC has about 70,000 on it and stil has the stock suspension. I know that it needs a sway bar end, but I am looking to improve the handling if I have to do any work at all. When I corner, even before the sway bar end broke, the car was not sporty: the rear feels like its floating, and the front is soft and sways.

As my wife drives it most, I can't put in sport springs and lower the ride height.

So: how do you guys think a set of IPD's swaybars and the Bilsteion HD front struts would do towards improving the cornering at least a little?

Thanks.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Re: Suspension advice (emoor)

I just put a set of Bilstein HDs on the front of my '98 V70 XC, and I really like how the car feels now.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Re: Suspension advice (Mk1Racer)

Do the say bars, do not do the HD's, they're very stiff and jarring.
The sway bars will do wonders, if you want shocks, do Bilstein Tourings or Konis

·
Registered
799 Posts
Re: Suspension advice (JRL)

Quote, originally posted by JRL »
Do the say bars, do not do the HD's, they're very stiff and jarring.
The sway bars will do wonders, if you want shocks, do Bilstein Tourings or Konis

I've put ~500 miles on them so far, and I'm very happy w/ them. Yes, they're stiff, but I like my car like that. An XC is not a sportscar, so I don't throw it around like it is. I'm wondering how a new sway bar will work?

·
Registered
63,543 Posts

Quote, originally posted by Mk1Racer »

I've put ~500 miles on them so far, and I'm very happy w/ them. Yes, they're stiff, but I like my car like that. An XC is not a sportscar, so I don't throw it around like it is. I'm wondering how a new sway bar will work?

Sway bars on these cars (and wagons) are awesome and should be standard
I think your HD's don't feel so bad is that they are on the front.
The REAR (HD's) shocks is what makes these cars so rough

·
Registered
799 Posts

Yeah, but w/ an XC, I'm kinda stuck w/ the Nivomats unless I want to change everything back there. What are the specs on the sway bars?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

I called IPD about the Konis and was told that the konis do not come with the strut support (the casing) that bolts to the steering knuckle, and because the stock support in which the strut sits does not have a threaded cap like most strut assemblies that you have to cut the end of the strut casing off and that the weight of the car is what holds the Koni in place.

Doesn't sound right. True, I'm not going to go airborne soon, but the strut casing is designed to hold the strut cartridge in the tube for some reason. . .

Sounds like the Bilstein HDs unless the Bilstein tourings corner better than stock?

·
Registered
773 Posts

On earlier model Volvo's (240), the Bilstein HD's were too much. They actually raised the front of the car a bit, and were very harsh on chuckholes, seams in the highway, etc. Great if all you wanted was best handling, but not good if you drove in a city with bad roads. I'd think the Touring were better, but the new Koni FSD sounds like an even better choice, if one is available.

As for the Koni shock being held in only by car weight, the FSD installation manual clearly shows that you drill a hole in the bottom of the old strut tower, and have a clamping bolt from the bottom of the strut that threads into the new strut insert, and keeps it from coming out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm in the same position. I have a '99 V70XC, 92k miles, and I'm going to have to do some suspension work soon. I'd like to improve my handling, but I drive on some pretty crappy roads (NYC, tons of giant potholes). I can take being bounced around a bit as long as I know I won't wreck anything over a pothole or something like that. Everything is stock at the moment, what are my options and what would the price ranges be for parts / parts & labor? What can I do myself (I've done some brake work & oil changes, but nothing serious) and what has to be done at a shop? Are the Bilstein HD's really that stiff?

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Re: (enziarro)

yes

·
Registered
745 Posts
Re: (enziarro)

Quote, originally posted by enziarro »
Are the Bilstein HD's really that stiff?

No. I have the Bilsteins HDs all around on a 240 wagon as well as on an S70. They feel great.

On the S70 I also have the sways, TME Springs, and 17" wheels. On totally broken up roads it can feel a bit harsh but on the whole I love it. The TME Springs were the last thing I did and that made the biggest contribution to harshness. But I must say the car handles great.

All of this is a matter of taste though.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Re: (irollturbo)

Quote, originally posted by irollturbo »

No. I have the Bilsteins HDs all around on a 240 wagon as well as on an S70. They feel great.

You're in TX, VERY smooth roads.
He's in NY, very ROUGH, poor roads and he wouldn't like them one bit

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Re: (JRL)

good point there...

By the way, does the difference with the IPD swaybars simply come from the fact that they are tougher than the standard ones? Can it make such a big difference?

Modified by Alex960 at 4:53 PM 5-29-2006

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Re: (Alex960)

Quote, originally posted by Alex960 »
good point there...

By the way, does the difference with the IPD swaybars simply come from the fact that they are tougher than the standard ones? Can it make such a big difference?

i]
Yes. They're not "tougher", they're larger in diameter. A couple of mm difference of the thickness of a sway bar (or a torsion bar on certain cars) makes a HUGE difference in handling
I've now installed 3 sets of these and after I do I wonder why I wait.
Such a difference in body roll and the entire feel of the car is an amazing upgrade

·
Registered
1,447 Posts

Does Volvo make thicker sway bars? Like, do the S/V70 R's come with the same ones as the normal models or do they come with thicker ones?

·
Registered
7,737 Posts

Quote, originally posted by JRL »
Yes. They're not "tougher", they're larger in diameter. A couple of mm difference of the thickness of a sway bar (or a torsion bar on certain cars) makes a HUGE difference in handling

A discussion over on another board also revealed that some of Volvo OEM bars were hollow inside while the IPD's were solid. The guy wondered why he should "upgrade" to the same diameter bars on his car until he took the OEM bars out. That was a rude awakening.

I agree with you...they do make a HUGE difference. Both of our Volvo's now run with IPD's now

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Re: (MadeInJapan)

IF Volvo's bars ARE hollow, installing a solid bar with the same OD would be like adding a 4mm thicker bar

·
Registered
7,737 Posts
Correct. Read this when searching on the web:

Stiffness = diameter to the 4th power.

If hollow, you would have to know the wall thickness and calculate out the hollow area.
BTW, not all Volvo bars are hollow...just that some have been discovered, and they tend to be rear bars.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.