SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I really hate to start another sunroof thread but majority of the fixes out there seem to only concentrate on fixing the front sunroof drain tubes.

Last year I had pulled the A pillar trim to inspect the front drain tubes and they didn't appear to be clogged so I left them alone. However, our V50 as been consistently flooding both rear footwells every time it rains, both the front footwells stay dry, it's just the rear ones that flood.

Can anyone confirm that this is caused by the rear sunroof drains?
There seems to be some conflicting information out there, some people claim it's the front drain tubes while others say it's the rears.

If it is indeed the rear sunroof drains, where is the tubing even located (ie. does it run down the b pillar?)?

I am planning to do the following modification to the front drains: https://blog.fcpeuro.com/p1-volvo-sunroof-drain-fix
Does it make sense (is it possible)to do the same fro the rears also?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Were you having this same flooding problem when you examined the front drain tubes last year?

Have you pulled the front carpets to get a look at the situation underneath? If your car is regularly parked pointed up an incline, I could see where water would enter at the front but accumulate visibly in the rear. Water flows freely between front and rear.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There was definitely water getting into the rear foot wells last year, but not as severely as now.
I only checked the fronts because all the forum posts heavily suggested it was the fronts, I did not see any signs of clogging but I'll probably change them out this year to be absolutely sure.

Our driveway slants downwards towards the road, the car is always backed in and parked pointing down the driveway (rear would be elevated relative to front).
There are rubber mats in the rear which act like "trays", if it was coming from the front, the water level would need to be noticeably high to get over the lip and into the rear rubber mats.
I'm reasonably confident that the water is coming from the back somewhere which leads me to think it's the rear sunroof drains.

·
Registered
621 Posts
I would suspect the door panel moisture seals

Water gets down between window glass and door, and normally runs out through the door drainage holes on the bottom of the door.

Check all drainage holes are clear on all doors.

Then remove the interior trim panel and check the moisture seal is intact. Especially around the bottom half of the door. If any rain water gets to the moisture seal it may drip inside the car instead of into the door interior.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
110 Posts
The carpet in the rear foot wells is lower than the front by about an inch and the water will show up there first even if it is the front drains that are leaking. When I bought my car, the front seemed dry but there was about an inch of water in the back. When I pulled the carpet I saw that really the whole bottom of the car had nearly 2 to 3 inches of water in it and it was just showing up in the rear footwell. The carpets have a foam cushion molded to fit the footwells. The water soaks right through the carpet and foam so that it isn't that noticeable until the water level gets above the carpet level. Since the carpet is lower in the back (less foam padding there) it is where you first notice the water.

When you say you pulled the pillar and looked at the tubes, what do you mean they didn't look plugged? One of the main problems is that those tubes are a tad short and become disconnected at the connection near the firewall. If it is disconnected, it won't be holding water as it is just running down into the car. Mine where just barely touching the connector and certainly were not water tight (they were also plugged at the connector).

You can tell if the fronts are draining properly by pouring some water into the drain hole in the front of the sunroof. If the water comes out just behind the front tire then they are draining properly. If no water comes out then they are draining into your car. I don't know how to test the rears, but what I have read on this board is that the front drains are designed poorly and plug frequently whereas the rears rarely plug.

PS. Thanks for that blog post. That is a great write up. I did an easier fix (basically spliced a short piece of tubing into the tubes) that I had seen, but think I will redo my fix like this to ensure the problem never returns.

·
Registered
110 Posts
There was definitely water getting into the rear foot wells last year, but not as severely as now.
I only checked the fronts because all the forum posts heavily suggested it was the fronts, I did not see any signs of clogging but I'll probably change them out this year to be absolutely sure.

Our driveway slants downwards towards the road, the car is always backed in and parked pointing down the driveway (rear would be elevated relative to front).
There are rubber mats in the rear which act like "trays", if it was coming from the front, the water level would need to be noticeably high to get over the lip and into the rear rubber mats.
I'm reasonably confident that the water is coming from the back somewhere which leads me to think it's the rear sunroof drains.
Hadn't read this... the way you are parking would tend to make it seem odd for the backs to be wet. But at the same time, it would also make it less likely that the back drains are the problem as the water would want to run forward to the front drains while it is parked.

It could be that the water is pooled up in the front, but then when you drive out to level it runs back. Having taken the carpets out of mine, I can assure you that there is nothing to prevent water in the front to getting to the back and vice versa. It can't get from the left to the right, but it can go from front to back. But I would think the front would show water when parked like that if there was that much water in it. Hmmm....

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hadn't read this... the way you are parking would tend to make it seem odd for the backs to be wet. But at the same time, it would also make it less likely that the back drains are the problem as the water would want to run forward to the front drains while it is parked.

It could be that the water is pooled up in the front, but then when you drive out to level it runs back. Having taken the carpets out of mine, I can assure you that there is nothing to prevent water in the front to getting to the back and vice versa. It can't get from the left to the right, but it can go from front to back. But I would think the front would show water when parked like that if there was that much water in it. Hmmm....
It is very odd indeed, I've checked the carpet in the rear and while it feels damp, it's definitely not super saturated (at least it doesn't feel like it). Since the rubber mats form a "tray", the water level would need to be incredibly high (even if it was sloshing into the back while driving) to get in the floor mat. This leads me to believe the water is coming from a higher point.

Just the other day, I purchased some 3/8" tubing and did exactly what that FCP euro blog suggested. Except, I reused the rubber elbow after cutting off the constricted end. We just had a bit of rain yesterday and water is still getting into the rear.

Does anyone have a routing diagram for the rear sunroof drains on a V50?

·
Registered
2007 Volvo V50 T5 AWD M66
508 Posts
They go down the C pillars beside the rear seats supposedly. I haven't had them apart yet.

·
Registered
110 Posts
It is very odd indeed, I've checked the carpet in the rear and while it feels damp, it's definitely not super saturated (at least it doesn't feel like it). Since the rubber mats form a "tray", the water level would need to be incredibly high (even if it was sloshing into the back while driving) to get in the floor mat. This leads me to believe the water is coming from a higher point.

Just the other day, I purchased some 3/8" tubing and did exactly what that FCP euro blog suggested. Except, I reused the rubber elbow after cutting off the constricted end. We just had a bit of rain yesterday and water is still getting into the rear.

Does anyone have a routing diagram for the rear sunroof drains on a V50?
One option would be to get inside the car and have someone spraying a hose on the car and watch to see if you can see where water is coming in at.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts