SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new 05 XC90 2.5 and from 50 to 75 mph I get one heck of a lot of wind noise from the sunroof. Anyone else have a similar exerience? Is there a fix? Thanks. Tom

·
Registered
16 Posts
Re: Sunroof wind noise at higher speed (tyoung)

If it's a vibration that sounds like it's coming from where the roof meets the winshield and is fairly loud, then you have what I had a couple of weeks ago when I took delivery of my new XC90.

The good news is, it's an easy fix. The dealers know about this problem as well. Basically you're missing a cushion type of gasket from one of your roof rails and the vibration travels across the entire front part of the roof when the car is at freeway speeds.

Take it in, go for a test drive with a tech, and more than likely they'll tell you the same thing...

Peter

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Sunroof wind noise at higher speed (Euro)

Euro

Thank you...seems to be my problem. Goes in Friday and I'll post thereafter. Tom

·
Registered
378 Posts

Hey Euro. I saw this mentioned on another thread. I believe I have the same issue. I definitely have a speed-related wind noise/vibration at sppeds from 50+ mph. The problem is it isn't there all the time. I am pretty sure it is coming from the rails and I do not have the crossbars attached to the rails. Was your vibration there evry time you drove your vehicle, or was it intermittient?

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Re: Sunroof wind noise at higher speed (spideyman)

Check the front foot of the your roof rails. If it isn't tight to the rubber gasket, that may be the cause. Adding some extra pad or using double stick tape may solve the problem. This should be covered under warranty

·
Registered
16 Posts
Re: Sunroof wind noise at higher speed (COMark)

I heard the vibration each time I had the car at speed. Easy fix. No worries, just take it in. The dealership will keep the car for several hours so that the resin they use for glue can dry properly.

Peter

·
Registered
378 Posts

Thaks for the replies Euro and COMark! The rubber gasket seems a little loose along the front, I wouln't think enought to vibrate, but that must be the cause. I'll get it checked out. Mayber a few turns on the bolts that hold the rail up will close the gap? I'll let the dealer address it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: Sunroof wind noise at higher speed (spideyman)

Fixed by dealer. I was told a piece of felt was installed in the front portion of the sunroof and that this was a known problem on some vehicles. Seems to have solved the issue.

Whatever the problem, seems the dealers know about it.

Thanks for all that responded...mucho appreciated.

Tom

·
Registered
106 Posts
Re: Sunroof wind noise at higher speed (tyoung)

The noise was with the sunroof closed?
When I have mine in the tilted open position, the noise is fairly loud, even at low speeds.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: Sunroof wind noise at higher speed (Doanster)

closed...and it was quite bothersome. Anyway...fixed.

Tom

·
Registered
101 Posts
i hate fixing all those wind noise XC90s. The front section of the roof rails, the grill, and the side view mirrors all make the noise. nothin some noise tape cant fix though.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts